09-16-09, 06:39 PM   #1
Pas
A Defias Bandit
Addon-Suggestion: Mail-Bank

You can receive 50 Mails with each 12 Slots for items. If you send items to your main char you will be able to save up to 600 Slots from your inventory and your regular bank.

My idea was to invent an addon that looks similar to all-in-one-inventory, but only displays the items that are currently on the mail box.

Which such an addon you could send glyphs, flasks, potions, reagents, etc. to you main char, could receive it on any mail box (that's almost everywhere), but don't have to wave precious bank or inventory space.
09-16-09, 07:10 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but I know at least Altoholic allows you to see the mails on all your toons to and from your own characters and also show that information (qty's when you mouseover an item) in tooltips.

So for instance, Toon A sends 50 netherweave cloth to Toon B, You log onto Toon C, who also has cloth in their bags. You mouseover the stack in Toon C's bags and see that Toon C has 20 and also Toon B has 50 in the mail.

That's just a minor portion of what Altoholic does though

I'm fairly certain there are other addons that do this, I just can't remember then at the moment.
09-16-09, 09:08 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yeah, I suggest creating a "bank alt" character and using that for storage space. Then get one of the many addons that allows you to see their inventory from another character. I've tried the "store things in the mail" bit before, and believe me. A bank alt is 100x better than dealing with a) the mailbox interface, b) having to mail items to an alt and back again to your main, c) sifting through storage "mail" to view real mail, and d) the time limits that are set in messages in your mail box.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-16-09, 09:29 PM   #4
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have 4 guild banks of my own and it's hard to keep track of a max capacity character bank for each, plus my main, plus 6 bank tabs (4 gbanks, +1 tab on two)... I'm really bad about not selling stuff, you never know when you'll need it . Either Combuctor or Carbonite tells me how much stuff I have on mouseover (probably other options also, between the two). I pretty much just know where everything is without them, though, because some stuff I've kept since vanilla (before guild banks ).

I've been meaning to try Altoholic, but so far I only use alts for storage... Combuctor and/or Carbonite have done fine for this, for me.

/agree with Seerah about mail, the time limit has eaten much from me, due to my old age.
09-16-09, 11:23 PM   #5
Neef
A Cliff Giant

/agree with Seerah about mail, the time limit has eaten much from me, due to my old age.
Ah, but that is where Altoholic shines. You can set it up so that it reminds you when a mail or mails are about to expire.

You can set the warning to as early or late as you like; and when you log in, it'll send a message about having mail about to expire if there is any.
09-17-09, 12:20 AM   #6
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

im right there with yhor with 4 of my own personal guild banks, and i use altoholic which manages things quite nicely, but i really like the idea from the OP, and i think the things seerah pointed out would be the things an addon would improve. i envision this....

you would set up all your characters names from all your accounts, then when you go to a mailbox anything that would be from one of your alts would be redirected to a lookalike bank frame. so you would get your normal mailbox (unobscured from your crap) and next to it essentially another bank. not everything would be available since it may be in a different characters box, but it would tell you that. then when (customizable value) days are left, the mod would automatically resend it back and forth.

yeah i like this idea, i would use it for sure =D
09-17-09, 01:28 AM   #7
Pas
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by khurzog View Post
im right there with yhor with 4 of my own personal guild banks, and i use altoholic which manages things quite nicely, but i really like the idea from the OP, and i think the things seerah pointed out would be the things an addon would improve. i envision this....

you would set up all your characters names from all your accounts, then when you go to a mailbox anything that would be from one of your alts would be redirected to a lookalike bank frame. so you would get your normal mailbox (unobscured from your crap) and next to it essentially another bank. not everything would be available since it may be in a different characters box, but it would tell you that. then when (customizable value) days are left, the mod would automatically resend it back and forth.

yeah i like this idea, i would use it for sure =D
That's what I meant. I also have a guild bank with 6 slots. A single slot ist used for those items that i need to do my raiding stuff. But that guild bank is of couse on my banker toon. That means that I cannot receive, for example, a flask with my main char unless I want to relog. Mails on my mailbox would solve that problem.

I like the idea of this automatic sending forth and back. I could work like this:

When your main toon opens a mailbox the addon tells you that x mails are about to expire and if you want to refresh.
Know, when you log on your banker toon, the same stuff happens and the new mails will be sent to your main char.

About that expiring time:
I think that almost every player with a bank character logs on both chars ones a day. That should keep the 30 Days up. If you refresh all your mails ones every 2 weeks there will be noch problem.
09-17-09, 05:12 AM   #8
Gruffness
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Neef View Post
Ah, but that is where Altoholic shines. You can set it up so that it reminds you when a mail or mails are about to expire.

You can set the warning to as early or late as you like; and when you log in, it'll send a message about having mail about to expire if there is any.
Unfortunately, this (Altoholic) isn't entirely accurate, IMHO.

My bank alt often has mail that will be returned to sender (my main and other alts that need bank space). It doesn't expire in the sense that it will be deleted, which is my primary concern. To me, expire means permanently deleted, not returned to sender. As it is now, I just restrict what my bank alt sends and generally ignore his warnings though I often review his mailbox. Postal (another add-on) shows icons for mail to be returned and mail that will be deleted, very helpful when reviewing my bank alt's mail.

I think I remember reading someplace about Altoholic may be addressing this issue soon. If not, I can always hope that the author will add options to warn on returns and/or deletions instead of the generic expiration which can mean either one.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Addon-Suggestion: Mail-Bank