04-17-09, 07:27 AM   #1
eomer
A Theradrim Guardian

Question Best way to see newest updates

Is there some version naming system to see what is newest version of addon?
It's easy to see updates when addon is in favs here, but when addon is hosted on different sites do they use the same system of version names?
For example, I see updates here and on curse, how can I understand which one is more recent?
If one site has newer version, will updater from other site replace it with one it thinks is most recent? Let's say I manually install new version from WoWI and Curse hasn't undated yet. Will Curse Client remove my updated version and replace it with the one from Curse?

Also a question about Curse Client. I've tried it when WAU went down and didn't like that it was re-installing addons I manually removed. Has that changed? Or it still only removes addon if it's removed through it?

04-17-09, 09:29 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Version naming is completely up to the addon author. They will usually name it the same, sometimes not.

I honestly can't answer your question about if one updater will override another, as I update manually. Others here will be more helpful.

CurseClient 3.0 is a completely different animal than the old version. You will have to try it again. It no longer has the problem you referenced.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-17-09, 11:52 AM   #3
Aezay
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is why I always give my releases a version matching the current date, makes it a lot easier. So something I would release today I would version 09.04.17. And really, what does a version number like v2.03 really tell you?
04-17-09, 12:04 PM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The Curse Client and the WoWI Updater do try and overwrite each other on some addons. When I run my updates, I have them open side by side. Generally, they show the same version information number wise, but for whatever reason the one on WoWI would for instance say v2.02 and Curse will have it listed as 2.02

Unfortunately that "v" makes the other updater think its different, lol. Not a major deal, I just look at it and if the numbers are the same, it's all good

I haven't had any issue updating between the two udaters besides that.
04-17-09, 01:36 PM   #5
eomer
A Theradrim Guardian

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Unfortunatly Curse Client didn't pass my test again
It updated some addons and WoW no longer saw them, even though folders were ok (Fubar, Prat and some others). I had to manually re-install them.
Will continue to do manual updates I guess.

04-23-09, 12:43 AM   #6
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
Will continue to do manual updates I guess.
Personally If i had to use any updater it would be the wowinterface updater. I've found with most of the addons I use they update both to curse and wow interface. You can then use the favourites feature to bookmark just the addons you use and it'll check just those.

Sorting the various version numbers authors use can be a challenge sometimes. I use a combination of both the date and time it was updated and the change log. If one site has a more recent date/time it was changed and lists changes in it's change log that are more recent I go with the more recent one (the more recent one would have changes in it's change log that the other one does not plus some more recent changes).

If you're looking for a way to make your manual updates easier please see my sig
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Best way to see newest updates