02-14-09, 05:25 PM   #1
ABanzhof
A Defias Bandit
does it exist

i recently had an idea of how to fit 32 spells into 6 buttons the idea is this; have it set so that if you press any of the 6 buttons and let them go in say less than three tenths of a second than it would use the corresponding spell but if the button is held down it becomes a modifier to be combined with any of the other 5 keys. The learning curve with this system would be steep but once mastered it would be so quick, neat, and devastating

the reason i say 32 and not 38 is because when the keys are lined up in 2 rows like so

1 and 4, 4 and 1
2 and 5, 5 and 2
3 and 6, 6 and 3 would be difficult to press
02-14-09, 08:08 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
This is not possible (at least not in combat). Bindings cannot be changed within combat to make your buttons do different things, and Shift, Alt, and Control are the only modifiers that WoW recognizes. I suggest you look into macros that make use of those modifiers or use different mouse buttons to do different things. Or look at OPie.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-15-09, 12:42 PM   #3
ABanzhof
A Defias Bandit
i am well aware of the fact that wow lacks the required numbers of modifiers but can anyone confirm that a mod "could" be written to accomplish the task before i start learning LUA for nothing =P the idea would be for the mod to accept the dynamic inputs and output to a single key binding, now that i think about it you may need to write a stand alone program, ouch
02-15-09, 02:02 PM   #4
Akryn
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As Seerah said, it's not possible to do it exactly the way you described. That said, I believe it would be possible to do something similar. I've never bothered to learn the post-2.0, let alone 3.0, secure action stuff -- since I'm not interested in writing a bar/uf mod -- but my understanding is that you could get it to do something like:

1,1 = spellA
1,2 = spellB
etc...
1,0 = cancel the command

but not just 1 followed by a delay or 1+2 at the same time, like you were saying.

However:
1. I'm not actually sure that you can even do that.
2. Seerah's modifier macro suggestion is really the way to go here, IMO. For example, my characters have about 95% of their actions bound to 1-5 using standard macros, and you can do more stuff with good bar mods, etc. The point is that learning the macro syntax is orders of magnitude easier than learning Lua, so if you're only interested in getting easier access to your spells and aren't actually looking to learn to make addons, you should probably just go with that.
02-15-09, 03:09 PM   #5
ABanzhof
A Defias Bandit
one way that sort of complication could be avoided at least the way i thought it out the system would be for my dk and just put melee abilities in the 1st 6 binds so it wouldn't matter whether it tried to cast or not

but thanks for the post it was informative

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » does it exist