05-25-08, 12:30 AM   #1
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Question Networking Question

I have a question that may seem really stupid, but I know next to nothing about networking. My girlfriend gets her internet access from an ethernet cable comming out of the wall in the appartment she is renting. We were discussing getting a second computer and hooking it up to the same connection to play WoW together. My question is, could I hook that cable up to a router and connect that to the two computers? If not, Is there a way for me to connect both? Would it be better perhaps to try to set up a Wi-Fi network using her computer & a Wi-Fi card?

Thanks in advance for the help!
05-25-08, 12:50 AM   #2
iljott
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Essentially, what you are saying is the same thing. You can connect a router to the cable connection and connect the 2 computers to that router. You could also get a wireless router, connect that to the cable, and either used network cables to the computers (exactly as above) or else use the router's wireless option and connect wirelessly. Of course, wired is the safest option as it won't have disconnections, bad speeds, etc..., but it's also neat because of the fact that you don't have wires running around, and if you have a notebook, you can always move around the house.

The price difference between a wired or a wireless router is almost negligible nowadays (at least where I live), so I'd go for a wireless router nonetheless. If the wireless connections prove to be inadequate, just wire everything up (wireless routers usually have 4 extra wired ports where you can hook up computers).

Oh, and always make sure you secure your wireless connection - you wouldn't want free joyriders on your internet connection!

Hope this helps mate!
05-25-08, 02:45 AM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
To add a little to that, if you choose not to use wireless at all you can log in to your router (there will be instructions with it on how to do so) and just literally disable the wireless transmitter, This way your basically guaranteed to keep the freeloaders off.

As for the price difference iljott is right on the money here. Your talking maybe $10 (USD) difference if its even that much. And personally i like having the wireless (even though both my machines are wired) for those times a friend comes by with their laptop.

As stated you should certainly secure your network if you plan to use the wireless.

When ever possible (eg. not having to run hundreds of feet of cable/punch holes in walls) wired is always preferable.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-25-08, 08:51 AM   #4
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Don't forget the costs of wireless go up when you don't have wireless cards in your computers.

Then you will need to buy wireless cards. Install them into your computers hopefully in an open expansion slot.

But yeah if you go wireless .... LOCK IT UP. I have 3 open ones in my area I can connect to if I wanted ... if I knew where they where I would be knocking on their door to tell them.
05-25-08, 11:57 AM   #5
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

USB adapters are also an option in lieu of internal Wi-Fi adapters.

Basically, a wired network is preferable for gaming, but having the wireless option is really nice. Our three workstations at home here are all wired, but my DS and Wii use my WEP-secured wireless.

05-25-08, 03:49 PM   #6
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Yeah forgot about the USB dongles.

I have 3 PC's all wired. My XBox 360 is wired (not paying MS $100 for a wireless adapter). My PS2 is wired.

My DS, Wii, PSP and iPhone use the wireless part.

I too prefer wired over wireless...
05-25-08, 06:02 PM   #7
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thanks everybody! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Networking Question