03-26-10, 04:09 AM   #1
Crowfeather
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cache related performance issue

I´ll just quote the user with the problem
Originally posted by Frug
(...) anytime I focus an harmful target (meaning FS is calculating) I'm having a huge ips drop (from 120ips to 10 ips) with an obvious jerky display. First thing I did was to stick with the 0.7.12b version (which stopped working with 3.3.3 being out). Upgrading to 0.9.5b3 I realized that the problem does not occur after the first (and clean) install of FS but only aftewards: each time I log in the lag is there.
Eventually I found a solution: by deleting the Cache folder the lag doesn't appear on log in but only after a /rl or disconnect/reconnect.
The first thing that comes to mind when reading his explantation was that the savedvariables will be written/read after the first relog or reloadui after a fresh install but that doesn´t explain the temporarily fix by deleting the cache folder.

The most obvious change I made after the latest non-affected version was to split the code into several files instead of just one containing all of it. Is there anything important that could cause such issues I have to consider when doing this?

I also changed quite a bit of code within where I can see the possibility of bugs causing performance problems but I just can´t see how and why those should only affect the game after a relog or reloadui and why they´re fixed by deleting the chache folder. Is there any specific event or function that's especially susceptible to changes in the cache?

Last edited by Crowfeather : 03-27-10 at 11:43 AM.
03-26-10, 07:05 AM   #2
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

What addon is this about? Faceshooter?
03-26-10, 07:07 AM   #3
Crowfeather
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
What addon is this about? Faceshooter?
Yes it is.
03-26-10, 07:12 AM   #4
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

The cache IS a holder for unit information and mostly unit models/textures.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Cache related performance issue