08-14-10, 03:45 AM   #1
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Coming back after long inactivity

So, I finally subscribed to WoW again. I've been mostly inactive for over a year. I've actually wasted quite a bit of money trying to get back into the game during this time. I'd pay for a month and end up only playing two or three days worth of that time. I actually bought WotLK and barely played it.
I'll tell you why:

I feel overwhelmed and confused. All these new additions and features, along with my fading memory of how to actually play the game makes it very hard to jump back into. I am actually afraid of doing Utgarde (sp?) Keep because I feel like I honestly don't remember how to competently run in an instance group anymore. I am getting new gear from quests and I'm not sure what to swap.
ex. Stamina or Intellect? What was more important for PvE again?
I have NO idea what to put my talents into. I am going to ask a friend soon, and he can probably help me with that, but I want to understand the talents like I used to.
I seriously forgot there was a Stormwind Harbor. (I stopped playing shortly after it was implemented)

I feel like a new player again, and I don't like it at all. All I can think of is doing is rolling a new character and starting from the ground up again, and then I can go back to my main later. Does anyone have any suggestions? Have you experienced this before?

Sorry for my possibly incoherent rambling.

08-14-10, 10:40 AM   #2
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'd be happy to explain all the things you asked about, but it sounds like what you really need is a good guild you can count on to keep you grounded and help you get your feet back under you. If you were on Sen'jin Alliance, I'd tell you to come join my guild; everyone is very patient and non-critical and would be happy to help you get back into the swing of things. too bad your main isn't there, but you'd still be welcome to start an alt there if you pursue that option.

08-14-10, 11:00 AM   #3
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Come on it's a G A M E. Period. Do you actually understand what that means? It's about having fun. It's not about being perfect at what you do, or trying to be something you aren't and more so it is NOT trying to be/do what you don't want to be/do.

You can actually have fun in WoW, ignore the elitist jerks behaviour and do your own thing. WoW is one (if not the only one to this extend) of the MMORPGs where you can even play SOLO all the time and still enjoy the game.

If I where you, I'd be happy about having forgot about everything, because it means you can explore a lot of things again. It's like a "new" game, eh?

Oh and don't care about messing up groups - that normally takes more than one player (not counting a really really really bad tank). Just try it.

After all WoW is pretty a pretty damn easy game.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

08-14-10, 11:14 AM   #4
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
After all WoW is pretty a pretty damn easy game.
Remember those elitist jerks you were referring to? You may want to go take a quick look in the mirror...

It's actually relatively hard to "just have fun" when everything around you makes you feel overwhelmed and confused.

Spectro, rolling a new alt may just be what you need to dive back into things, but I think you will quickly find most of your forgotten knowledge coming back to you. Good luck, man!

08-14-10, 11:32 AM   #5
Dawn
A Molten Giant

You're kidding me right? I'm sorry for you, if you really feel overwhelmed by idiotic behavior of others without having an opinion on your own.

WoW is easy. It's stupid scripts "competing" with a human brain, come on...

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

08-14-10, 12:43 PM   #6
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Thanks for proving my point about elitists.

I didn't say I'm overwhelmed, but I do understand feeling that way. My current guild master is 60 or so, and he gets overwhelmed if we do a boss fight that has too many phases to keep track of or if something goes wrong and I shout out "Quick, switch to frost presence and pick that add up!"

When I joined this guild, they had just finally succeeded killing the first boss in H UK. They didn't know how to create a successful 5-man party, and they didn't understand how to gear for specific roles. It's not a matter of whether scripts are smarter than real players, it's a matter of they didn't fully grasp the game and it was balanced for more geared and experienced players than they. With some time and some of my experience from raiding on a different server, they now all have 5-5.4k gearscores, and are comfortable with the first 4 bosses of ICC. That's a dramatic improvement. And like you pointed out, the game is about having fun. And all it took was a little learning to help them get the fun back into the game.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Coming back after long inactivity