12-21-06, 01:25 PM   #1
Jaycyn
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
DropDown Menu re-use code

I have 2 drop down menus that contain the same table list. How would one go about 're-using' lua code to populate each dropdown and handle clicks.

Speaking generically...

in XML, in the UIDropDownMenuTemplate, in the <OnShow> I call MyDropDown_OnShow

MyDropDown_OnShow function calls UIDropDownMenu_Initialize and passes MyDropDown_Initialize function: this allows the dropdown to know it's init function

MyDropDown_Initialize populates the dropdown and sets info.function to MyDropDown_OnClick, so the dropdown knows what to do when an item is selected

MyDropDown_OnClick just gets what the user selected in the list and shows it in chat. (for testing purposes)

The problem I am running in to is differentiating which dropdown is making the calls. I thought I could put the drop down name (i.e. MyDropDown_Menu1 or MyDropDown_Menu2) in info.value via info.value = this, and then use that value (aka frame) when the OnClick does

local i = this:GetID(); --ID is the # of the selected item, 1, 2, 3 in the dropdown list.
UIDropDownMenu_SetSelectedID( this.value, i);

however, it appears that Initialize gets called twice: once when it it shown, which then sets info.value to MyDropDown_Menu2 (so far so good) but when you click the disclosure button to show the list, it gets called again, and this time this = MyDropDown_Menu2Button.

Can anyone suggest a solution?
12-22-06, 07:24 AM   #2
Jaycyn
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Solution

I answered my own question.

In UIDropDownMenu.lua at the bottom is a function that returns which drop down menu is currently open.

local currentDropDown = UIDropDownMenu_GetCurrentDropDown();

Once I know the current drop down, I can then populate/update each one as needed.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » DropDown Menu re-use code