View Single Post
10-21-20, 12:16 PM   #15
kkot
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
While I can sort of see where you're coming in regards to the "monopoly" bit, especially considering that "Big Business" had it's dirty fingers in CF, that really isn't applicable here. As Dolby mentioned, multiple hosts is a good thing. As is users and authors having options.
It sounds like you are agreeing with me.

Originally Posted by StormFX View Post
This doesn't even make sense. You don't "drive traffic" by limiting information. The less information a user has, the less likely they are to follow a link. Not to mention that it negates efforts by authors to ensure that users have as much information available as possible.
If we are to follow that logic the user will not install add-ons from WoWI and the add-on manager will not incur any costs. The exact wording that I used was "drive traffic back" to WoWI - the intention is not to showcase add-ons or generate "clicks" but to compel users to seek information from the source if they are interested in installing an add-on or if they want to browse around, etc. In other words, the search function is intentionally gimped out of respect for the host.

That may be true, but they're still bypassing the system without any consideration of how it affects the host or authors.
Add-on managers employ a variety of other mechanisms to minimise their impact on the host. instawow in particular caches the WoWI catalogue for one hour; will not retrieve the catalogue unless the user is attempting to install or update a WoWI add-on; it will perform batch requests when resolving add-ons and cache file details for five minutes; and it will cache downloaded ZIP files indefinitely. It also identifies itself with a custom user agent string so that the host is able to rate limit requests originating from instawow as they please.

So far you've explained why you don't like any of the ideas presented. Do you have any alternatives?
I have already explained why I am not proposing alternatives.

Last edited by kkot : 10-21-20 at 12:23 PM.