View Single Post
05-30-09, 09:03 PM   #35
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Subject line of the op? Excuse me, I chose to use the news articles subject line. Which by the way is from Kaspersky Labs. If you have an issue with their findings, go be insulting with them and not me. I brought it here for discussion, not so you could be rude.
Sorry, I did say in a later post that it wasn't you, but the media. Kaspersky is being sensationalistic in both their headline and their choice of verbiage. Of course, they make their living by making people paranoid and scared of the internet, so that's no surprise.

As a user posted in their comments:
"The extension is for .NET apps, not "silently installed" apps. You still have to install them and go through the administrative UAC prompt. This isn't ActiveX.

It's easily disabled on a per-user basis: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx..."
The update was neither "snuck" onto computers without users choosing to install it nor is it as scary as the stories and net gossip are making it out to be.

I lambaste the media articles on this, not you for sharing, and I am sorry if you took it differently than that. Ultimately it got the thread alot of bumps though, which is a good thing.