View Single Post
11-10-07, 09:41 AM   #25
matcauthonrh
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Xinh
Word of caution regarding bumping threads:

On almost all of the forums that I am an active poster on, constantly bumping your own threads over and over tends to annoy both users and moderators/admins. Users then complain to the forum moderators and the thread in question gets locked. In addition the bumper of said thread often gets a warning, suspension or an outright ban.

In other words: Do not repeatly bump your own (or other's) threads or you risk the wrath of the mods.

Regarding trying to track enemy player cooldowns:

Trying to track enemy player cooldowns is a royal pain in the a**. Unlike mob CDs, with players you have various talents that have to taken into consideration. These talents will reduce or in some cases eliminate the CD in question. Then you have talents like Cold Snap or Preparation while they have long CD in themselves, totally reset other spell/skill CDs allowing your opponent to WTF pwn you and rendering CD tracking useless. However not all players will take these types of talents and the author of such a mod would have to take ALL of these scenarios into consideration while coded this type of mod. Most good PvPers know this and develop the skills to see when things like Earth Shock, Ice Block, Cold Snap, comes into play and use reflexes and skills gained through many a death (normally their own deaths) to counter them rather than relying on a mod that can be easily broken/rendered useless to "assist" them.
More ignorance and theorycraft that you cannot apply. Again, if you're going to talk the talk please be able to walk the walk. Very simple request.

The mod could easily deal with talents/gear altering CDs. Simply assume based on enemy buffs. For example, shadowpriest's PS CD is 26 seconds, holy/disc is 30 seconds. Next patch enemy's buffs become shown to all. It could also be coordinated with one of the mods that reveals enemy spec.
Since this would be a PvP add-on one could simply have it assume the popular spec and gear choices for PvP.
Or, just as viably, use some sort of marking system to display the mod's 'guesses.'
Example: Priest psychic screams, timer bar pops up counting upwards. There are hashmarks at both 26 and 30 seconds allowing the player to judge with other information available to him.

As for cold snap/preparation/whatever, that would have little bearing as the mod should be able to take that into account and cancel bars when this move occurs, or if this is not possible, the player should be vigilant enough to realize what's happening. Currently there are mods that tell you your opponent's specs in arena, so if you're fighting a frost mage or prep rogue, you pretty much know what to expect.

As far as bumping this, I've received no contact from a mod or administrator here, so I will continue bumping it until this is resolved. If the mods don't like it, fine, I'll take it elsewhere, but it's difficult for me to imagine that people would have a real problem with honest persistence.

Frankly I find this kind of willful ignorance and rejectionism stupid.

Last edited by matcauthonrh : 11-10-07 at 09:45 AM.