View Single Post
10-22-20, 11:02 PM   #19
kkot
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by StormFX View Post
In the case of Amazon/Twitch's acquisition of Curse, absolutely. But I'm fairly certain CF's rewards program was in place prior to that. Your claim that rewards programs are "exploitative", etc, was made with no qualifiers so is inherently false.
It doesn't matter if it was introduced with good intentions - that's what it inevitably leads to. An Overwolf employee recently described the rewards programme as a 'carrot' and shared his dream of consolidation - on their platform, one would assume.

Additionally, any information that an author includes in their project's description, etc, needs to be readily available to the user. That is why this information exists.
The information is readily available to the user at the source. I'm not really sure what you're suggesting here. I have a short description (where a short description can be obtained) and a button which leads directly to the add-on page. Would you want me to embed the add-on page in full? The UX is similar to performing a search on Google - there's a title, a link, and an extract or description from the page.

Most users already have an account with WoWI.
I rather doubt that's true. In any case, having to log in to every host that AOMs might interface with would be (a) very tedious and (b) unwelcome from the AOM's perspective. Handling user data is I think something all of us would want to avoid because of the security (and legal) implications and the concomitant maintenance cost.

On the contrary, it's more beneficial for everyone to work together. I'll happily promote any host or AOM that is willing to work with the community to get this all sorted out amicably. But ranting about "capitalists", etc, isn't helping anyone.
I'm not ranting about capitalists. I'm critical of the negative connotations attached to 'scraping' and broadly attribute them to capitalist thought.

Last edited by kkot : 10-23-20 at 12:01 AM.