Thread: Antivirus Help!
View Single Post
09-26-10, 12:03 AM   #2
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Honestly, I've only had bad experience with McAfee. It's popularity is only driven by the fact that it is placed in computers before selling them to customers (aka "bloatware"). (Which is how you got yours.)

I'm not sure of it's current state, but I've always experienced it as a large resource-hog.

In my opinion, there is no "best" Anti-Virus. Each has their pros and cons, and if you ever go to a website for Anti-Virus Assistance, they will have you use many programs to get your issue resolved.

So, to directly answer "McAfee vs. Avast!", I'd say Avast!. I've only ever tried the free version, and really enjoyed it. When you also utilize MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware as "scan when you feel like it" programs, I think that's a great combination.

Remember: only ever have ONE Realtime Scanner (aka teatimer, on-access scanner). They will conflict. But having several "scanner" programs will not be so bad (just maybe the occasional false alarm while scanning, though I haven't experienced this recently).

Personally, I've just been sticking with SUPERAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) as my realtime scanner.

Hope this information is of help.