Thread: Cirk's Notebook
View Single Post
08-14-06, 06:14 PM   #20
Fin
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cirk
Hi Fin, that is a very weird bug! From an addon perspective, we aren't really able to do very much "wrong" in terms of memory spaces, etc., although it is quite possible that some of the APIs that Blizzard provides to us could have some underlying bad behaviour. I know 1.11 was supposed to address some memory leak issues, although I'm not sure where they might have been occurring. In terms of memory usage, LUA itself is quite happy having literally millions of distinct entries, and the WoW client itself has very generous buffers for writing out data (consider that many item and auction database addons have multiple megabytes of memory just for their own save files) so I can't see much there that could be going wrong either.

Only thing I can suggest is try increasing the memory allocated to your addons and see if that makes any difference at all. (To do that, login to WoW and go to the character selection screen, and then select the Addons button at the bottom left. At the top-right of the Addons window is a number indicating the amount of memory allocated to addons. Try increasing it by 8 or 16 and see if anything changes).

Cheers,
Cirk
PS: You might want to edit your post and remove your email address from it - I can contact you via PM or similar if we need to do that
Hi Cirk,

I recently saw this update note added to BugSack's SVN logs:

!BugGrabber: - guard against a WoW crash on reloadui/logout, by truncating errors to 980 characters. More than 983 characters in one string in an SV.lua would crash WoW. Thanks to Devla for providing me with a faulty SV that pointed out the problem. Note that people suffering from a crash right now will have to deleted their SavedVariables\!BugGrabber.lua.
This sounds awfully familiar. I tried installing Notebook again recently and had the same problem, and I hadn't deleted my SavedVariables yet (I'd quite like to keep a lot of those notes). Is it possible Notebook might allow the creation of strings with over 983 chars?

cheers,

- Fin