View Single Post
06-11-10, 01:06 PM   #14
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
(just try calling the billing or tech support numbers. If your very, very lucky you might get through in 1 day. I for one tried for 3 days to get through to them to get help for my grandson!!)
There's a trick to getting through : if you get the message saying all their lines are busy hang up immediately and press redial. Repeat until you get a message saying you are in the queue. If it says you are in the queue stay in the queue
There are rumors at corp headquarters that they may ban all 3rd party addons and write their own and/or charge players $1.00 per addon per month used to cover the costs they are incuring (hire more GM's, overtime, etc...) restoring equipment. I for one use a ton of addons and can not afford $1.00 per
I highly doubt that.

There are just too many problems inherent in officially supporting addons for Blizzard to ever do what you are suggesting above.

Let's see now.....

First off all current addons would have to be scraped. Addons are author's copyrighted work. Blizzard wouldn't be able to use them (openly viewable code is not open source). So goodbye to all your Favourite addons ... bye bye Bartender... Goodbye Recount...See you later TipTac & DBM ..... Bye bye Bagnon , Auctioneer , Bank stack and all those other varied addons I can't remember the name of.....

Secondly there wouldn't be as many addon authors producing addons in house. Blizzard can only hire so many people after all. Many of the addon authors you rely on for addons have day jobs. And are not willing to move to Texas and/or Anaheim just to be hired by Blizzard. Consequently there wouldn't be as many addons kicking about.

Thirdly addons are physically incapable of hacking you. So all you would be doing is increasing the work load on tech support with no actual benefits.

Lastly if Blizzard did start charging for official addons and third party ones couldn't be used it would kill the thriving addon community we have here. I'm not kidding here it will kill it dead. The community spirit would be gone and their subscription numbers will soon dwindle.

I think the person that you were listening to was wearing their tin foil hat a little too tightly
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 06-11-10 at 01:18 PM.