View Single Post
10-23-20, 01:38 PM   #20
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by kkot View Post
It doesn't matter if it was introduced with good intentions - that's what it inevitably leads to.
Something is only as malicious as it is in its current state. Rewards programs are only exploitative if used in an exploitative manner. Generalizing them all as such is hyperbolic.

An Overwolf employee recently described the rewards programme as a 'carrot' and shared his dream of consolidation - on their platform, one would assume.
If true, another reason the community should come together. Not to sound like I'm doubting your claim, but I would like to see a source on this.

The information is readily available to the user at the source. I'm not really sure what you're suggesting here. I have a short description (where a short description can be obtained) and a button which leads directly to the add-on page. Would you want me to embed the add-on page in full? The UX is similar to performing a search on Google - there's a title, a link, and an extract or description from the page.
Given that I haven't used your program, I wouldn't know that. I was simply going off what you said about giving users as little information as possible.

In any case, having to log in to every host that AOMs might interface with would be (a) very tedious and (b) unwelcome from the AOM's perspective.
That's a fair point.

Handling user data is I think something all of us would want to avoid because of the security (and legal) implications and the concomitant maintenance cost.
Also a fair point.

I'm not ranting about capitalists. I'm critical of the negative connotations attached to 'scraping' and broadly attribute them to capitalist thought.
And yet you keep bringing it up. This isn't a political discussion, so keep that sort of crap out of it, please.