View Single Post
08-14-10, 07:04 AM   #70
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by waeponx View Post
Very interesting, I myself have been playing since beta (vanilla) I have had 2 accounts total and never been hacked or banned. I have had an abundance of suspensions for Trolling / Harassment. But I have never had my account compromised.

Steps that I take in account security.

Password is always generated as an md5, never a keyword such generated. Just a random md5 string.

When Battle.net was released I immediately signed up for it.

Bought an authenticator on the day of release.

I have a Anti-virus / Firewall. (Eset Smart Security) And varies tools that were custom.

I change my password every 2-3 weeks.

I do alot of the things you listed that you do not do. I have been involved in blackhat/whitehat projects since 1998. I check for hidden/modified files upon logging into my computer. I check all my logs and ports for unwanted packets being sent.

Lastly I think this is what really gets it for me is, I reformat on a regular basis. Once a month at least. Keeps my PC running smooth and clean 100% of the time, and pretty much ensures that I remain free of adware/spyware/viral programs.
Just curious then, at what point do you use your PC for gaming, browsing, etc? Seems like your too busy rebuilding, changing md5 hashes, checking logs, files, and ports.

I too used to do similar things, but it got to be too much of a hassle and never left much time for anything else. Now I just run basic AV, no firewall (hardware is good enough), strong password for each account that can have private information, and I pay attention to my PC and surfing habits. That's been enough to keep me clean.

I used to rebuild about once every 3 to 6 months, but since I started making a clone from a clean and updated install, I just restore that and start playing again. So much faster/easier.