View Single Post
08-14-10, 03:34 AM   #66
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Fenixhawk View Post
The problem they wrote was that too many people were blaming the user and that it's very rare when a user blames Blizzard. It's usually the other way around, and even Blizzard points their finger at the user.
Except of course where you have two legal documents every users signs leaving the security of their login information to themselves. Blizzard also have privacy policy they adhere to - it's posted at that link above.

That and for every post I've seen in the CS forums where this was asked a Blue has come forward and said it was not on their side.

Now it comes back to do you trust the company you are handing your money to every month or don't you. Do you trust a Blue to tell the truth?

Their privacy policy lists a way of reporting it to the ESRB board. It strikes me that if there were "breachs" in Blizzard's security surely they would of been reported to the ESRB and hereby investigated by the ESRB ?
Here were the arguments:
1. There is no increase in hacking of WoW accounts - google search trends showed that more people were having hack issues, increased forum activity, and Blizzard themselves confirmed that there was an increase.
I would just like to point out here that evidence of increased google searchs isn't really proof of an increase in hacking.

It's more of an increase of interest in hacking. The difference is very subtle but if you look at his search terms he used they were too broad to specifically catch only instances of people reporting they were hacked.
2. Users said that "Blizzard is required by law to notify everyone of any such breach. Since there has been no notifications, no breaches have occurred." If you search the forums you can see that this is true, and he showed the data breach laws (but you skimmed over them) that confirmed they don't have to do anything.
No.

He said at the end they didn't exist. I've read posts in the CS forums from people involved in those sort of laws in CA and they've confirmed they do exist. These are lawyers or lawyers in training who have made posts about specifically which laws those are.

If you like I can confirm which laws in particular those are.
3. Users said "Blizzard's systems are foolproof". How would you recommend a person proof that nothing is foolproof if the company hides all breaches?
Again it comes back to that whole trust issue. Like I've pointed out above Apple had 2 very large serious data breachs recently. They did not "sweep it around the rug". They come forward to confirm the breachs occured and why.

You ever trust a company. In which no amount of contary evidence is enough to convince you otherwise. Or you don't.

How would you prove it ? Simple. An email from inside the company with email routing headers proving it come from inside Blizzard with names, addresses and credit card numbers of clients.

You can say its a cover up but I prefer to come back to the first law of forensics : Everything leaves a trace. Everything. Search hard enough and you find it.
4. Users and even a Blizzard employee said that they do not employ fraud spe******ts. So they linked a copy of the job posting and links to people who are still employed by Blizzard as internal affairs.
You're using the wrong word. Fraud spe******ts isn't the same thing as internal affairs. They may do the same sort of job but they are two separate sort of roles.
Those are the exact emotions of the OP of this thread! He was an IT Professional and is very uncertain now and fearful of what else could be on his PC.. all because everyone was telling him that his PC is infected.
Just because he's an IT professional does not excuse him for lapses in his own computer security.

He's only one guy while Blizzard employee entire teams responsible for keeping their computers secure. They even have their own NOC manned 24 hours a day against computer attacks.

Can the OP honestly say the same about his computer security ?
It's not an attack on Blizzard, it's just trying to make people aware and to open their minds to possibilities.
You say that now my friend but posting that link as you did really didn't help things at all.

When making the post you had a choice what text to have as the link. Instead of choosing something that was a little less sensationalist you choose a headline that would almost guarantee someone would start blaming it on Blizzard. Without ever checking their own computer security first.

Someone should start blaming hacked wow accounts on a one armed man >_>
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)