View Single Post
07-10-10, 01:24 PM   #36
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Units that where previously spawned like "self:GetParent..." are quite a pain now. At least if you are going with the "unit.specific function way" in 1.4. I do like that way a lot, it's clean, but I don't really understand why oUF doesn't address all units right from the start. I mean 1.4 got the "raid" and "party" thing, done in a better way than before. But why not expand this for "arena", "arenatarget", "partypet", ... ?

The way it is right now, I should have stick'ed with one stupid big style function and the whole shabby "If unit == whatever" when I rewrote my layout for 1.4.

I might be missing something, ofc. Maybe it's obviously obvious how to do address those units, now. But I don't get it.

Since this might sound like one big rant: I really like 1.4! I really appreciate what haste does on this awesome unit framework. Like I said in another post, it's pretty damn unlucky that haste released 1.4 shortly before leaving for so long. *sad panda*
The main reason it doesn't provide proper units for party{target,pet}N is because it can be a real pain to figure out what the layout is spawning. Right now it only looks at the headers attributes and feed the values based on showParty and showRaid. To me it seemed good enough, even though units such as partypetN still will show as nil.

I really how now idea what you mean with adding support for arena, arenatarget and partypetN. It isn't supported by oUF because the Blizzard secure header doesn't really provide us with a proper way of doing it. oUF is able to handle party{pet,target}N through the header templates, but only as a sub-frame of their owner, and this is done through a XML hack really.

I also released 1.4 before I went on vacation because it had gotten over a month of testing, and I had told several people that I wanted to have it out early July, or at least before I left. That being said I'm still around, but I mostly read and don't post (because my main internet access is currently 3G and my android).