View Single Post
10-09-09, 06:25 PM   #17
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

I'm also very tolerant of 'broken' English, but I won't even try to figure out 'lazy' English. If someone posts a message as one long run-on sentence with no punctuation and badly incorrect spelling, then I won't even try to puzzle it out. It's outright painful to try to work through. However, that's almost always lazy English rather than a non-native English speaker. In my experience (bolded because it's just my experience and not intended to mean applying to everyone), non-native English speakers are far better than a lot of modern American youth in expressing themselves in writing.

Another forum that I'm a member of has so many international members that using proper English (instead of lazy English; no one is expected to be perfect!) is actually a board rule. Using lazy English is grounds to have a post reported. I think it's great. Incidentally, it's also the only board I've seen that has a huge membership (over 24K), but stays polite and civilized. I honestly think that is at least partially related.