View Single Post
10-09-09, 06:56 AM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
From my experience, it depends on whether or not it's "broken" English (aka as spoken by a non English speaker who only has a rudimentary understanding of the language) or if it is "lazy" English (as used by many English speakers online). "L33T speak" is a form of "lazy" English. Since I an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher, I can usually spot the difference. I am much more tolerate of "broken" English than I am of "lazy" English. I usually don't even bother trying to decipher "lazy" English.

Originally Posted by shkm View Post
I'm a native English speaker and I'm not sure what to say. Many British (I'm one of them) have very little grasp on the language unless they put in a conscious effort to learn it. When I was at school my English was far worse, and teachers would not strictly correct any grammar or punctuation. It's as if these aspects of the language are considered unimportant
I find that rather interesting as I went an American public school system in Montana for my entire primary/secondary education. All of my grade 1-6 teachers and my grade 7-12 English/Literature teachers hammered both grammar and punctuation as well as spelling. This was particularly true in high school as bad grammar and punctuation could mean the difference a good grade on my homework and having the "talk" with my parents. My teachers were successful in hammering home the point of good grammar, punctuation and spelling as I, even now 15 years after I graduated high school, continue abide by my education even online.

Last edited by Zyonin : 10-09-09 at 07:03 AM.