View Single Post
10-15-08, 06:03 PM   #12
Ironfather
A Murloc Raider
/inv me!

Have the coding background - and the PM heavy side. Also got the QA and testing side with Brem (we actually worked together in RL at one point!).

In all seriousness, it is time for a group of dedicated people to branch this product. He (you) did an outstanding original piece and you should be proud of not only where you got it to, but also how you did not just turn out the lights even when you were taking flak with no reason to continue. However, every product (especially software) has a shelf life and I dare say the bicycle tube can only be patched so many times.

We can cobble together a recovery effort (and it may take less work than first glance suggests); however, WotLK is a very good checkpoint milestone to stop and consider a new branch/UI. Many of the addons it 'suited in' have gone by the wayside or been overcome by better addons. Architecture options and APIs have changed.

It's time to put a small core group together to manage an extended UI dev team. Build a code repository complete with designs and documentation to support developers that may come and go - allowing people to work even on a small piece of code while they are interested in contributing (for however long that may be).

Community-driven (prioritized) requirements based on feature requests and bug tracking need to be added into a code workspace. There is more - but let's cut to the chase.

We can cobble together a patch 3.0.2 recovery team; however, that is not a 'good enough' long term strategy. I applaud that you are shoving the ball to get it rolling - and I'll shoulder in some shoving to help.

I'd like to see a longer list of names volunteering on this thread, and to see a general response as to whether there is an interest in building a new code base for a new UI that really is a development community product rather than a bunch of awesome-intentioned people throwing themselves into patching and fixing cycle on a product we all love, but hate to accept needs to be let go.

If there was a UI that could do what MazzleUI can do (could do), but was supported by a reliable dedicated team and it was working right now - you'd all be downloading it.

Everyone wants to benefit from Mazz's amazing work; however there has not been a serious 'staying power' effort to support it that has succeeded in keeping pace with and in anticipation of WoW updates.

I recommend we branch his work, re-design from the ground up and give him the proper respects for the guidance that is his code base. It's time to respectfully say 'thank you, we'll take on that community burden from here so that you can rest knowing you set the course and expectations by giving us an amazing product in the first place.'

Eyes wide open clause: this ain't gonna be easy like ganking an AFK clothie, it is going to be a massive amount of work and right when everyone is trying to get ready for LK or when they are trying to level to 80. Hence 'small group of dedicated core' with 'extended developers'.

/tip o hat and bestow Achievement title of 'Original Creator' to Mazz!

Right then, let's see if you love it or hate it.

- Ironfather