View Single Post
10-12-08, 06:52 PM   #70
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Patchumz View Post
I understand the hate for this program and the reasoning behind not using it, but until you can find us something equal or better as a replacement, It's not worth checking every site for all 30-60 Addons you may have to update.
Manual updating doesn't in any way require checking sites for updates. All the major release sites have a "favorites" feature and an "email me when a favorite is updated" feature. Used in conjunction, these features mean you will get a direct download link in your email when an addon is updated. As the old wowace site with its dozens of "updates" every day is history now, this will not flood your email with dozens of messages. I use about 150 addons, about 80 of which are hosted here on WoWInterface, and I'd say on average I see one update every three days. If you're using WotLK-only addons on the beta servers, you'll probably see a few more updates as these addons are still under development in response to Blizzard's game changes.

Or, you could use one of the half-dozen or so other updater programs that do not profit from leeching bandwidth and distributing addons without explicit author opt-in or explicit user instruction. For example, with JWoWUpdater, you'd spend maybe 15 minutes, one time, inputting the addons you wanted to keep updated, and from then on you'd just click the "Update" button to check for and download any available updates to those addons.