View Single Post
05-30-09, 01:41 PM   #34
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by stormkeep View Post
subject line of OP is misleading. "Sneaks" implies the user has no way of seeing it coming. In this case, it is mentioned quite clearly on the download page as well as how to remove it. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-6383ba034eab.

The only way that is sneaky is if the person installing it is blind and not using any kind of text to speech. Or if the user is too mentally challenged to make sure they find out what they are installing when they do an update. I would expect a wowmatrix user to consider it as "sneaking" but not someone here on Wowinterface.
I don't really post here anymore but I couldn't keep quiet on this one. It caught my eye as I was checking for Wow updates...

You "almost" sound like you know what you're talking about. However, you are wrong. Here is the text from the relevant Microsoft Update as it appeared on the Microsoft Update website (or Windows update)...

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates. This combined Service Pack and update is applicable to systems running a version of .NET prior to version 2.0, or to systems that have no prior version of .NET framework installed."

Now, let's assume we're all as bright as you claim to be. For the sake of argument, let's say we all chose to read the description of this update. Do you see anywhere in the description any mention of anything being installed into Firefox? I sure don't. Thus, it's safe to say that even a computer expert (such as yourself) that takes the time to read each and every update description might have been surprised to see something installed into their Firefox web browser. I mean, clearly there is no mention of such. Right? Are you seeing something the rest of us can't? I didn't think so.

In summary, the OP title is 100% accurate. This was a sneaky update. Period. Is it a malicious one? I don't think so. It's sloppy at best. While the update description mentions "application compatibility updates" rather than listing specifics, I think a reasonable person can rightly suggest this is sneaky. Sneaky doesn't always mean malicious.

So, in my opinion, after taking all the facts into consideration, I seriously don't see anything viable in your posts in this thread. In this particular case, you're essentially calling people ignorant because they blindly install updates. Again, with regard to this specific case, your comments are largely irrelevant because they aren't accurte. Even people that read about updates wouldn't have known about this one. Thus, sneaky is the word.

Silenia has been very helpful in my view to bring this situation to light here. I think many people reading this site use Firefox and do so to avoid the very situations this Microsoft update created. The irony of Microsoft sneaking something into Firefox is rather remarkable. On the one hand, you kind of expect things like this from Microsoft but on the other, you don't expect Firefox to just accept 3rd party addons without some sort of notice. I can personally confirm that Firefox does NOT give the user a notification that an addon was installed after this .Net update did its work. This is unique in that a majority of other Firefox addons will give the user a notice that new addons were/have been installed the next time you launch the browser.

Thus, in my view, this is sneaky on both counts (Microsoft and Mozilla). To me it reveals it's quite easy to install something into Firefox without user knowledge. That's something that sort of shatters their "secure browser" reputation. Know what I mean?

At the very least, don't be critical of people for installing this update. The only way you could have found out everything about this update was to visit the actual knowledge base or MSDN site(s) and read specific information using KB article #'s, etc. Don't even tell me you do that on every update that goes into your system. No one does. Your criticisms are way off base on this issue. Sorry.

For the record, I've been digging around a bit and still haven't seen specific mention that Firefox would be affected from this .Net service pack and I have access to OEM partner resources.

Things that make you go hmmm...

Thank you Silenia for helping to keep this community informed. Keep up the good work.