View Single Post
02-07-05, 09:00 PM   #8
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The difficulty from what I've seen is a combination of a few factors. One of which is the learning curve for people who aren't 'programmers'. I for one have great difficulty grasping any programming language. I can modify existing scripts but to code one from scratch makes my brain hurt. I don't know how many people fall into this category, but I have tried many, many times to grasp programming languages and I'm either going about it the wrong way or I'm too stubborn to give up.

Another factor has to do with the makeup of the default UI. I've found that many windows call scripts from completely different window.lua files. For instance, in the Pet and Player Windows, they utilize scripts from other windows for things such as the combat damage indicators and the popup dialogues. My end goal is to be able to break down the default UI into standalone components with independent scripts rather than mixed and entangled scripts.

The fact that WoW is so new is another huge contributor to why there aren't many standalone add ons yet. Only the people with a good understanding of scripting have the ability to do so at present. Until good scripting libraries are built, it will be tough for anyone but these coders to do it.