View Single Post
10-26-10, 05:34 PM   #33
Unkn
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Complicated wall of text incoming!

Its a personal answer to a public question. Everyone here is going to have a different response for different reasons.

I have family members who have different beliefs or ideas about the world than I do. To me it looks like they can not get thru the day without having had a "personal" conversation with who they refer to as God. To them the answer to the question would be yes, modern society does need religion. For them their life, morale code, and actions revolve around what they believe in.

To me, no, modern society doesn't need religion. But just because we do not need it, does not mean we do not want it. Religion was a way to control, subdue, bind together a community or region of people. It was a way for people who were used to answering to someone above them to also answer to a higher power for action that weren't controlled by other men. If you think about it from the earliest memory you have, there has been someone that has known more than you, had more experience, had a plan, or a morale compass that has helped guide you and shape you into the person you are. I think religion basically built from that. Our, humanity’s want, to have someone there that knows more than them- That has a master plan. I say we do not need religion anymore because as a whole, we are stronger, better educated, more connected than anytime before in history. This thread is a perfect example. But at the end of the day, what we need and what we want are very often different things.

So no we do not need religion. We can successfully sustain ourselves without religion. And the world might be a more peaceful place without it. We can live without we want, but we don’t need to in this case.