View Single Post
03-18-10, 05:01 PM   #16
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
The 4800 series are just hotheads, my 4870 can hit 90 (Core temp IIRC) and is designed to cope with that anyway, otherwise Ati would not sell them with such a cooler, way to risky.

The biggest boost I could give my Sapphire 4870 was with a new Bios. Tho that's not something I think everybody should attempt, esp if you cannot afford a replacement..

Saphire made mine (Saphire Radeon 1GB GDDR5 4870.. I did a lot of research before buying from this company to ensure they put out quality cooling along with a good warranty). It just has the ATI chip. My card gets no where near that temp on the CPU in a 25 man raid. Not all companies that make video cards put the same cooling on them. There are actually three different things on this particular card to watch the temps on, but the main temp that shows up on most guages is the one for the CPU on the card. The one you have to watch for is the temp on the cards memory, which will always run hotter. The memory is normally the first thing that causes a video card to go belly up due to overheating issues.

I choose to keep my temps at their lowest so that I can obtain the best possible performance and help my hardware last longer.