View Single Post
12-05-09, 06:55 AM   #36
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by archaica View Post
on the european realms, windows XP users are experiencing problems with the prepatch download. blizzard has known about this issue for weeks and has not addressed or resolved it. i certainly hope this is not an indicator of what is to come with the "release" of the full patch, because if it is, they are going to have a lot of very unhappy paying customers when they cannot log in because the patch will not download... knowing that blizzard has known about this issue for weeks, done nothing about it and still releases the full patch regardless.
The issues with the pre patch download didn't have anything to do with the patch data itself but the mechanism used to distribute the patch.

The patch data itself is in the MPQ files inside the data folder.

The Blizzard tools are programs that are independent of that patch data ie the Client , Updater, Launcher and Background downloader.

The client does facilitate the loading of data in and out of the Data folder but the problems people were having were not with the client but with the Launcher, Updater and Background downloader.

On the PTR I haven't seen any problems patching what so ever - there has been 12 builds pushed out and every one of them got installed on my computer painlessly (*). Neither have I seen many posts in the O forums about a particular build updater bugging out.

The upshot is if people have their problems with the Blizzard tools (other then the client) they should not have any problems come Patch Day.

(*) I won't say they were installed quickly as I'm on a slow computer
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)