View Single Post
08-23-09, 11:06 AM   #54
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
As for the old instances, I have tried some of them.
in a perfect world, perhaps Blizzard would have anticipated this issue of "content re-use" and structured content (at least instance content) to scale indefinitely as a function of player capability (based on character level, based on average item level, based on a fine-grained player-selected difficulty, based on any/all of a whole variety of things). you could have fun with everything, from Ragefire/Deadmines to whatever, at 60/70/80/90/100/...

that would not have been easy, and if they had done all that, WoW would be a very very different game (better or worse is arguable)... but in any event, they didn't do that. they went with a static/scripted/pre-balanced/consensual-world approach.

given all of that, as a player who has been doing WoW since the original public/open beta, its very nice to see them willing to invest the effort to revamp "old" content to make it simultaneously "new" to veteran players and keep it accessible to new players (and the one thing about these expansions so far that has bothered me most is this "throw it all away, start the progression over again" track they seem(ed) to be on). they also seem to be making the whole concept more cohesive (from tactical enhancements like flying mounts everywhere and additional race/class combinations, to more strategic things like writing the "classic" world back into the "expansion" storyline, rather than just forking all new content off into some new/discontinuous/self-contained/modular area somewhere).

so, maybe they are choosing a new direction here. if so...

hopefully this will at the very least make your next big level grind enjoyable (for myself, i have a whole team of Worgen percolating in the back of my head; planning to multibox them ). maybe not so much a grind. i think it will increase the scope of what we have "not seen before", and given this sort of design philosophy, that effectively equates to "replayability", which is the lifeblood of all of this. and if this is successful, we will see more (or even somewhat continuous) "renovation" of "classic" content, which i think would be a good thing.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"