Thread: Hacker Alert
View Single Post
07-20-09, 08:44 PM   #47
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Here's a nice link, tho a bit technical, outlining why Mac users may need to get a bit more "worried" about the future;
Very interesting and enlightening link there my friend.

I'm afraid my point still stands.

I know the Mac OS X is not the high paradigm of security that many Mac heads like to spout off like monkeys on crack. This is coming from a Mac head btw.

There have been a few very well documented theories of ways of exploiting the Mac OS X over the years. From the code for a Mac OS X virus to a hacking competition where Safari was comprised there has been stirrings coming of a major OS X hack incident for years.

Thing is there's been very very little interest in implementing anything major in the wider wilds of the internet and the computing public."Theoretical" is all it's been so far there's been no interest in doing it for real and I haven't seen any documented cases of that happening (other then the Quicktime Codec exploit outlined above).

My other point is - the greatest defense against any malware / hacks or exploits of any kind is the informed user!. That Quicktime Codec exploit fizzled when exposed to the Mac Community not because it wasn't a convincing trojan horse or anything. It fizzled because the average Mac OS X user took one look at it , turned around to their mailing list buddies and asked around then ignored it. (*)

And as said, never run as admin on any OS that lacks all updates and have all ports open in the firewall.
Very good advice on the admin thing. Even Mac OS X users should be doing this - don't make your main user an admin user ! If the hacker gets access to your computer without an admin user he can't do any lasting damage.

PS That presentation does say that Snow Leopard could be more secure , plugging many of the holes outlined in that document , possibly more. That's out in September

(*) = Note here that I'm not saying Mac users are more technically knowledgeable or more skillful. I said the above based on observations of what actually happened in the Mac Community following the release of that trojan I talk of above. It can apply equally to any computing community - a well informed user is one of the best defenses !
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)