View Single Post
05-10-09, 05:10 PM   #1278
Elesarr
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Tristanian View Post
Ah, you see the problem is, they are presenting this outdated version as an "update", which it simply isn't. As a result, any legitimate new versions will be overwritten by this "update" and old issues might arise for the users. If they cared about the users as much as people think, they would take down the outdated open source versions themselves. But wait, that would mean that they wouldn't have a version of addon X to distribute (legally) and that's the real "catch" here. They'd rather distribute a version, no matter if its outdated or not, just because they can get away with it legally, than none at all.
exactly right!

this is what brought me to WOWI forums in the first place - Tris has explained it so elegantly.

Jalandar do you know how many addons I had on ignore and was updating manually because Matrix screwed up my installations by putting old versions on my computer. I had so much taint going on and couldn't figure out why I wasn't get my nice little error popups...NOW I know why Matrix decided I didn't need to know....

Was there a pop up saying "Careful! we are installing an outdated and possibly buggy version of this mod. do you really want to do this?" NO they did not they screwed my addon folder so much that I am in the process of redoing my ENTIRE UI with updated sanctioned versions of the mods I enjoy then came here to find out what all the ruckus was about why it "seemed" WM was trying to be friendly and guess what - WM was revealed to me as the life-sucking creature that it is after reading threads from Oct '07 to date and these nice people posting to my very recent question in an attempts to explain to me what was going on.....

/sigh.... why do I keep feedng these people...

Last edited by Elesarr : 05-10-09 at 05:15 PM.