View Single Post
12-09-05, 06:07 PM   #3
eldoon
A Kobold Labourer
I'm new to lua coding, but my plan is to write some functionality to track my auctions, as well as auctions I'm bidding on, as far as time remaining. Obviously it is easy to track one's own auctions, as we know when it is placed in the AH, and what duration. For the items being bid on, it will rely on trips to the AH to check the remaining time. It won't be great, but could give a decent idea of when an auction will be over.

For example: If I go into the AH and place a bid, and the time is "Very Long". I know it is between 8 and 24 hours. If I go back to the AH an hour later, and it is now "Long", I know the auction will be over 7-8 hours from now (rather than 2-8, which is what the status tells you). These values can "tick down", so that an hour later that auction would be 6-7 hours from over, then if I happen to enter the AH near the next interval break (near the 2 hour remaining mark) then I may get lucky and gather even more info to identify the auction expiration within less than an hour. My intent isn't to increase trips to the AH, but rather put some common sense time tracking to auctions so that if I happen to be in the AH, and discover new info, then it can be used to my advantage. Worst case scenario is that I know no more than I do through the AH UI.

I suppose it would be possible to put in a mechanism to select auctions to "track" so that you wouldn't necessarily have to bid on an item to be able to track its time remaining.

The biggest hurdle to all of this is whether or not an item can be uniquely identified in the AH. It is common to see several auctions of the same item and quantity by the same person with the same bid/buyout. Is there a way to identify any one of those from the others reliably?