View Single Post
10-16-08, 09:12 PM   #53
Benea
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by eNTi View Post
that just reads if you made that up to make them look bad. even if they ever had malware on their servers it's hardly their fault. i don't believe, that wowace or wowi did ever "screen" their users more than curse did. i never got malware from curse.

besides... the curse updater is all but automatic. which is kinda annoying for me really. i used the curse updater for a while, but realized, that it didn't have some features i liked and that some of my fav addons where updated very slowly if ever. when i found that i had to manually update half of my addons by hand and only the other half by curse, i started to look around for something more convenient. not to say i missed linux support.
Nope I didn't make then look bad, because it really happened. =P Wowace was pretty strict, since you had to get approval from the admin in order to upload stuff (it slowed down new authors from getting permissions but imo it was worth it). WowI had some but they were faster in getting stuff filtered. Curse lingered with it for a while then got stricter.

I also don't like the updater because it asks for admin rights/privs? when it does it's thing. From what I've read, that opens your computer and thus becomes more vulnerable. I guess they did it that way due to Vista (I use WinXP). I'm not the expert (I know enough to do damage ^_^), but opening my computer up to everybody and their mother, no matter how brief, seems to be a bad idea. I wish they just said move your wow folder from the c: program files to another partition/drive or whatever if you are using vista, rather than asking for admin rights.

Last edited by Benea : 10-16-08 at 09:14 PM.