WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archive (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Umm...is it ready yet? (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23061)

oimmuk 04-29-09 01:36 PM

Umm...is it ready yet?

I really hate to ask this but I cannot seem to find it to try it out only the old one which to me is a PITA to use. I may be jumping the gun here and it may not be available to us yet but I really am anxious to try it.:)

Spectro 04-29-09 02:13 PM

If it was ready there would be an announcement.

Cairenn 04-29-09 02:19 PM

We will most definitely let everyone know when it is ready for the open beta testing. :)

attackfrog 04-29-09 04:55 PM

Just found this forum and things are looking good. As the Curse updater is now pretty much useless to me, I can't wait until this is released! I always liked Wowinterface better anyways ;)

Penguar 04-30-09 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 132072)
We will most definitely let everyone know when it is ready for the open beta testing. :)

You might want to try to release it very soon. Curse just started charging $2.5 a month (or more with less than a year subscription) for the privledge of updating addons from authors who dont work for them. Even though they bombard you with ads on the free version, it has no autoupdate capabilities and forces you to update one addon at a time. Pathetic.

So now is your chance, considering they just started doing it, to take over their userbase from people that are unhappy (and there are a lot of us). Release it now, even though not quite ready, and let the user community work with you. I suspect all of us will be patient (less some).

Michael

Dolby 04-30-09 01:28 PM

Releasing it when its not ready would be very bad. It would get labeled as a piece of junk forever. Even when the bugs are fixed. Just like when an MMO releases too early.

Penguar 04-30-09 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 132366)
Releasing it when its not ready would be very bad. It would get labeled as a piece of junk forever. Even when the bugs are fixed. Just like when an MMO releases too early.

That is what beta is about - releasing software that isnt quite ready. It depends on how not ready - but beta is beta and considering the state of most addons and limitatinos and problems, I suspect this community would accept a few features being worked on or disabled initially. I know I would, and I am software engineer and long time software developer.

Torhal 04-30-09 01:38 PM

Unfortunately, you could have a twenty-foot blinking sign that screamed "BETA!" and most end-users would still condemn the release version based on the beta's flaws.

ravagernl 04-30-09 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torhal (Post 132374)
Unfortunately, you could have a twenty-foot blinking sign that screamed "BETA!" and most end-users would still condemn the release version based on the beta's flaws.

You have to even consider the fact that a lot of wow players don't even know what beta means. I even have a few guildies that don't know how to make macro's because all they care about is play the game and auto updating addons.

tinyu 04-30-09 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torhal (Post 132374)

soon (tm) :D

Spectro 04-30-09 03:08 PM

I think the ratio for casual gamers versus hardcore gamers in WoW could be 2:1. Casual gamers are usually computer illiterate whereas hardcore gamers usually aren't.

Republic 04-30-09 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrruben5 (Post 132382)
You have to even consider the fact that a lot of wow players don't even know what beta means.

There are a lot of authors who don't know what it means either. Honestly, what ISN'T in beta for WoW? Get my point? Release versions are "rarely" that. This includes the game itself and a majority of mods written for it. This isn't a criticism, just an observation that "beta" is a term that I believe has lost its "true" meaning in the WoW community.

Quite frankly, as poorly as 3.1 runs, you'd think it was a paid beta.

Republic 04-30-09 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectro (Post 132412)
Casual gamers are usually computer illiterate whereas hardcore gamers usually aren't.

Eh, not for nothing but that sounds backwards. Hardcore gamers remember making boot disks to get your games running. Hardcore gamers, especially early adopters of various games, have often times been forced to become a computer technician to get games running. Hardcore gamers build their own machines to stay ahead of developer bloat, etc. Hardcore gamers will obsess over technical issues until resolution or work-arounds are found.

Casual gamers are fine and many grow into hardcore gamers, but I just thought this was a little backwards.

voodoodad 04-30-09 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republic (Post 132419)
Eh, not for nothing but that sounds backwards. Hardcore gamers remember making boot disks to get your games running. Hardcore gamers, especially early adopters of various games, have often times been forced to become a computer technician to get games running. Hardcore gamers build their own machines to stay ahead of developer bloat, etc. Hardcore gamers will obsess over technical issues until resolution or work-arounds are found.

Casual gamers are fine and many grow into hardcore gamers, but I just thought this was a little backwards.

Umm.. Rep... You might want to read the post again. He said "most casual gamers are computer ILliterate"...

sensory 04-30-09 04:20 PM

Don't push them to release it to Beta too fast. Just.. don't.

They'll release it when they feel it's ready to be released.

Republic 04-30-09 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoodad2000 (Post 132423)
Umm.. Rep... You might want to read the post again. He said "most casual gamers are computer ILliterate"...

Hmm. The only thing I can think of is I'm running low on bacon. Yep, that's certainly it. I've had way too much greenery and roughage the past week. This is what happens when a paladin cleanses!

Did I mention damn Tekkub? Damn him and his high-falootin' bacon button straight to hell!

voodoodad 04-30-09 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republic (Post 132433)
Hmm.
Did I mention damn Tekkub? Damn him and his high-falootin' bacon button straight to hell!

Ahhh... gotta love a good Planet of the (bacon) Apes reference!

PS. Please don't ever mention "Paladin cleansing" in the O-forums. We already have more than enough poop-quests as it is!

Spectro 05-02-09 08:22 PM

I was in a public bathroom with a hand dryer a few days ago. I saw an icon similar to Tekkub's avatar and laughed.

Cralor 05-02-09 08:36 PM

99% sure that is where it came from.

See this:

PerfectH 05-02-09 08:37 PM

"It's ready when it's ready."