WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   News (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Comic Contest Winners! (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18023)

Cairenn 09-02-08 07:37 PM

Comic Contest Winners!

This was hard, there were a lot of really good submissions. We finally came up with our list of 20 though. In no particular order, the winners are:

Kaps: here and here;
Bouvi: too many to list :D
Ozmandius: here and here;
VnTale: here;
arno933: here;
Silh: here;
Zyplon: here;
Drazzii: here, here and here;
TS_CTMod: here;
Falindriel: here;
AcidRain: here and here;
Howlsatmoonlight: here and here;
Arathius: here and here;
Zanexnation: here;
Seriny: here;
Eberict: here;
Thunder_Child: here;
Undel: here;
MoongazeMods: here; and
Tarquin: here

Congratulations to all of the winners. Look for a PM from me shortly with your codes.

We are also giving Iolanthe an honourable mention for this one.

chauronity 09-02-08 07:40 PM

aww thats a shame, were there anythings in particular you didnt like about my entries?

congrats to all winners btw

Tarquin 09-02-08 07:57 PM

Congrats to all the winners! Lots o fun stuff in there.

also Thanks for the vote! Woot!

AcidRain 09-02-08 08:03 PM

Wow, I actually won? Awesome :D

Gratz to all the other winners, and to those who didn't win, it was a good battle! I really enjoyed a lot of the other comics, even those who didn't win. They entertained me, so feel good about that, you all did a super job!

Arathius 09-02-08 08:07 PM

:eek:

I can't believe I won one... after a month of entering contests I was sure I was meant never to have those codes. Thank you guys so much, I was sure I wouldn't win this.

I doubt I'll ever leave my Tyrael pet in the bank, in fact I may just have him out every day I play.

Congratulations to all the other winners, almost all of them were good in my eyes, so I'm sure they all must have gotten pretty close.

Thank you all again, now I need to go in game and tell all my friends the news lol.:D

Bouvi 09-02-08 08:08 PM

Awesome job all!! Was a lot of fun.

Dimencia 09-02-08 08:10 PM

8(

gratz to the winners even tho i dont agree with some of them

Sylvann 09-02-08 08:21 PM

grats to all the winners.

Dimencia 09-02-08 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chauronity (Post 101091)
aww thats a shame, were there anythings in particular you didnt like about my entries?

dont feel bad i feel some people were going to win no mater what they posted

looking at the winners most are good and should have won but some makes you think

chauronity 09-02-08 08:36 PM

Yeah I mean come on really? I spent at least a good 10 hours spending time making my four comics, showed to my friends and they all liked it, thought they were better then the majority of the other entries on the website and here I am seeing comics that look like they were slapped together in 30 minutes with little to no effort in the dialogue.

It's stuff like this i'm taking about
http://www.bouvi.com/sigs/Chuck1.jpg

No offense to the artist or anything, but realistically I spent hours on my comics and It really makes me discouraged when my entry's are out of consideration to comics like that. Don't get me wrong, i'm not discouraged that I lost the competition competition, but that my comic's weren't judged on the fair basis I thought they weren't going to be judged by...

And im noticing a couple of addon authors being winners for this contest, I thought there was a seperate giveaway for addon authors for WOTLK keys. I really think that people who weren't addon authors should of had more of a chance to get the key which addon authors had another method of accesing.

But either way, hard feelings aside...congradulations to all the winner =D
I think this contest is going to be the last of my WOTLK beta key contests.
But hey, im happy for all the winners. =D

Dimencia 09-02-08 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chauronity (Post 101102)
Yeah I mean come on really? I spent at least a good 10 hours spending time making my four comics, showed to my friends and they all liked it, thought they were better then the majority of the other entries on the website and here I am seeing comics that look like they were slapped together in 30 minutes with little to no effort in the dialogue.

No offense to the artist or anything, but realistically I spent hours on my comics and It really makes me discouraged when my entry's are out of consideration to comics like that. Don't get me wrong, i'm not discouraged that I lost the competition competition, but that my comic's weren't judged on the fair basis I thought they weren't going to be judged by...

And im noticing a couple of addon authors being winners for this contest, I thought there was a seperate giveaway for addon authors for WOTLK keys. I really think that people who weren't addon authors should of had more of a chance to get the key which addon authors had another method of accesing.

But either way, hard feelings aside...congradulations to all the winner =D
I think this contest is going to be the last of my WOTLK beta key contests.
But hey, im happy for all the winners. =D

yeah last one for me too i was thinking would be a even contest but its just another wowiki and wowhead case

gratz to the people that won that should have won even bouvi cause i liked his lol

Zirconium176 09-02-08 08:41 PM

Congratulations winners! Well deserved! :)

Hanakabo17 09-02-08 08:50 PM

I agree with Dimencia that Addon Authors get their own beta key, so addon authors shouldnt be entering in this contest. I mean, i know some wanted just the mini tyrael, but all i wanted really was beta.

Undel 09-02-08 08:55 PM

I love comic contests. This was fun :-) Thanks!

Dimencia 09-02-08 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanakabo17 (Post 101107)
I agree with Dimencia that Addon Authors get their own beta key, so addon authors shouldnt be entering in this contest. I mean, i know some wanted just the mini tyrael, but all i wanted really was beta.

same i dont do the pet thing i just wanted the beta key and now those keys are going to waste cause you know some of the addon writers are already in beta

Hanakabo17 09-02-08 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimencia (Post 101110)
same i dont do the pet thing i just wanted the beta key and now those keys are going to waste cause you know some of the addon writers are already in beta

yeah exactly, so if any of you addon authors want to give me the beta key, help a heartbroken fellow player, then you are welcome to donate ;) dimencia too

Dimencia 09-02-08 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undel (Post 101109)
I love comic contests. This was fun :-) Thanks!

yours is one of the good wins lol

anything that ends with a female troll nude is win in my book lol

AcidRain 09-02-08 09:06 PM

Just wondering: Have PMs gone out yet? I haven't received mine, I have a feeling it's just because they haven't gone out yet, but I was just making sure.

Also, guys, you all did a great job. I understand your frustration, but please accept the contest results and be a good sport. I loved all your comics; I really did. And I think, if possible, the staff would surely have given everyone a code. Sadly, that's not possible. This is the nature of contests.

I think it is fair to say, though, that we all had fun making our comics! And if you didn't, well. . . ok :P

Dimencia 09-02-08 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidRain (Post 101113)
Just wondering: Have PMs gone out yet? I haven't received mine, I have a feeling it's just because they haven't gone out yet, but I was just making sure.

Also, guys, you all did a great job. I understand your frustration, but please accept the contest results and be a good sport. I loved all your comics; I really did. And I think, if possible, the staff would surely have given everyone a code. Sadly, that's not possible. This is the nature of contests.

I think it is fair to say, though, that we all had fun making our comics! And if you didn't, well. . . ok :P

no makes it worst is getting pm's saying that I along with some others were ripped off tends to add fuel to the fire

Howlsatmoonlight 09-02-08 09:12 PM

I am guessing no codes have gone out, since I have not received mine either. And while I do not agree with some choices over others, it seems like they chose first based on original vs screenshot manipulation, but I could be wrong. Dimencia, if it were up to me you would have won for 'Gnomes Gone Wild', that one had me laughing my butt off the first time I saw it.

Dimencia 09-02-08 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howlsatmoonlight (Post 101116)
I am guessing no codes have gone out, since I have not received mine either. And while I do not agree with some choices over others, it seems like they chose first based on original vs screenshot manipulation, but I could be wrong. Dimencia, if it were up to me you would have won for 'Gnomes Gone Wild', that one had me laughing my butt off the first time I saw it.

i know i am working on a move to go along with it right now lol and nah alot of screenshot manipilations won and im not even really bitter about me not winning but even Iolanthe not winning over some of them

Seerah 09-02-08 09:15 PM

For those of you thinking there was any bias in our selections and are sore that you did not win, please just do not go there.

Each staff member picked their top 20, based on the rules of the contest, the delivery of the comic, the humor, and the subject of the comic. Not all entries followed the rules of the contest, and we also had to keep in mind if it would be something we would want to display on our site in the future.

Once all staff members submitted their votes, we tallied them up, and these are the top 20. We gave you a chance to win these codes, please do not insult us with accusations of favoritism.

And congratulations to the winners. :) I thoroughly enjoyed them. :)

Dimencia 09-02-08 09:18 PM

calls em likes i sees em

Dimencia 09-02-08 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howlsatmoonlight (Post 101116)

quoted again to show its just not the losers that think this

Dolby 09-02-08 09:27 PM

I'm sorry I did not like any of your submissions Dimencia otherwise I would have voted for one. You did take the effort to make some comics and for that I commend you.

Some comics I voted for the story even though the artwork wasnt that good, others I voted for the art work but the story wasnt that great. I dont really know many authors or people as I'm a behind the scenes guy so there was no bias for me. /shrug

Iolanthe 09-02-08 09:32 PM

Congrats to all the winners, and thank you for honorable mention :D I admit to be a bit disappointed not to be able to get a Tyrael code, but I wasn't convinced that I'd win anything at all, heh. But good entries all around! There was a lot of good competition in there.

Dimencia 09-02-08 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 101122)
I'm sorry I did not like any of your submissions Dimencia otherwise I would have voted for one. You did take the effort to make some comics and for that I commend you.

oh well cant fight the power and please remove my comic post they are just dead links now I dont keep my work online when not being used too easy for people to rip them off and take credit

back to wowmatrix with me

and grats again to the people that really won on the list you guys rock

Cairenn 09-02-08 09:43 PM

Let's see here:

Rules:
  • <snip>
  • Your comic must be PG13
  • Your comic must not violate any of Blizzard's or WoWInterface's site rules, ToU, EULA or CoC.
  • It should be appropriate to the site (you know, having to do with, like, UIs and stuff )
  • <snip>
Dimencia's first entry - has nothing to do with UIs, not PG-13
second entry - has nothing to do with UIs
third entry - talks about hacks, violation of Blizz EULA/ToU. Yes, we realize it was a joke, but it's still not something we can give even the appearance of supporting by allowing it to win
fourth entry - didn't happen to get enough votes. Guess what, that happens

Shall I also point out that I sent you a PM after your very first entry telling you that it didn't meet the rules?

Look guys, we had 7 different people pick their top 20 favourites. Some voted for one, some voted for another. The ones with the most votes won. How is that unfair? How is that favouritism? Just because you are upset that you didn't win, doesn't make the results invalid. For pity's sake, you'd think that if there was favouritism I'd have given my own Mom a win.

And people wonder why sites get to the point that they just throw their hands up in the air and say "screw it" and never hold another contest ....

Dolby 09-02-08 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chauronity (Post 101091)

I liked this one of yours chauronity and it did get my vote http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...1&postcount=52. It had a simple funny story with good art work imo.

The others I found either a little confusing or not really on topic. Either way you had at least my vote if that means anything. :)

Arathius 09-02-08 09:47 PM

To those thinking that there was bias in the contest, I think I should be proof enough that there wasn't, I mean my comic was the first post I have ever made on this board, I know absolutely no one on here, and I don't know the first thing about making an add on, in fact it was barely over a month ago that I started using them. I understand the frustration of losing, hell I've lost countless contests over this last month, but there isn't anyone to blame here.

Nechckn 09-02-08 09:49 PM

All,

Not really sure as to any sort of favoritism- no matter what has been done in the past by other sites, know that the folks at WoWI have always been very even handed and fair.

From what I can find as far as rules go, there is no reason why anyone would have been ineligible to enter- this, in particular, was not only a contest for a beta key, but for a TCG card as well.

Let us all keep in mind that humor is quite subjective and any sort of judging is difficult, to say the very least.

Regardless, congratulations to all of the winners and thank you to all who entered for providing some great stress relief!

Nikk :cool:

Howlsatmoonlight 09-02-08 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arathius (Post 101128)
To those thinking that there was bias in the contest, I think I should be proof enough that there wasn't, I mean my comic was the first post I have ever made on this board, I know absolutely no one on here, and I don't know the first thing about making an add on, in fact it was barely over a month ago that I started using them. I understand the frustration of losing, hell I've lost countless contests over this last month, but there isn't anyone to blame here.

Very true, I myself had never used WoWinterface until I was told of the contest. Also, as Nechckn pointed out, humor is subjective, and while I thought some were funnier than others, I also seemed to have forgotten to view them in light of the rules, which makes it a good thing I wasn't one of the people voting :P

Hanakabo17 09-02-08 09:58 PM

Ah, well...i sincerely wish that my comics could have at least been in good enough quality to be readable. The horror of realizing how crappy your comic looks after uploading is an incomparable horror to say in the least. :( guess im gonna wait to start my death knight with the 2 thousand other people on Dragonmaw

Howlsatmoonlight 09-02-08 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 101126)
And people wonder why sites get to the point that they just throw their hands up in the air and say "screw it" and never hold another contest ....

I think that while it is frustrating to some, we all appreciated the work put into the contest by the staff at Wowinterface. We all need to realize that without contests like this, none of us would have a chance, no matter how slim.

AcidRain 09-02-08 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howlsatmoonlight (Post 101133)
I think that while it is frustrating to some, we all appreciated the work put into the contest by the staff at Wowinterface. We all need to realize that without contests like this, none of us would have a chance, no matter how slim.

I also wish to thank the admins and mods here at WoWInterface for holding and organizing this contest. I'm sure it was more work that it was worth :P

Undel 09-02-08 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 101132)
Also, for those wondering why they haven't seen their PM yet ... I'm working on it, it takes a while to type in each code. ;)

:eek::eek::eek::eek: *scampers franticly in uneven circles* :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Iolanthe 09-02-08 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidRain (Post 101134)
I also wish to thank the admins and mods here at WoWInterface for holding and organizing this contest. I'm sure it was more work that it was worth :P

Indeed! I second this thank-you. You guys did a great job organizing this.

Arathius 09-02-08 10:35 PM

This contest was indeed very fun whether there was an unfair ruling or not. I had a lot of fun making my first two comics, and it will likely not be the last time I make one. I thank you all for the experience, I hope to see another contest like this one in the future.:)

Quote:

From what I can find as far as rules go, there is no reason why anyone would have been ineligible to enter- this, in particular, was not only a contest for a beta key, but for a TCG card as well.
It wasn't a tcg card, its actually an exclusive pet given from a convention that was held in Paris I believe.

Eberict 09-02-08 10:44 PM

Oh wow! Thanks for giving me this opportunity and for selecting my entry, :). I'm glad you enjoyed my poking fun at my daily real life situation. As an aside, recall how I mentioned my router would explode in the Discussion Thread? As it turns out, my major gaming computer exploded instead! The PSU leaked capacitor fluid all over, and my hands stung, and became numb, and I had to stand by the sink with my hands in water for fifteen minutes. Undel can attest, she was talking to me while I was like, "WHAT IS THIS GOO?!"

Ahhh. Lesson learned for today? Don't tempt fate.

Mini-Tyrael will make me feel better on this spare computer while I wait for my parts to return from warranty replacement. Congratulations to everyone else, I thought there was a lot of great talent in this competition.

Silh 09-02-08 11:04 PM

Congrats to all the winners, and a salute to everyone else who entered as well. Thanks to all the wowinterface guys for running this.

Now to figure out where to fit mini-T in my bags which are already stuffed with pets and the masses of druid gear...

Tarquin 09-02-08 11:08 PM

I'd like to also add my thanks to the staff. The effort put into the site is obvious and these contests are icing on an already delicious cake. They are in no way required, but it's great that they take the time and effort to have them. It just adds that much more to the site as a whole. Thanks once more!

Arathius 09-03-08 12:56 AM

For all those horde having trouble finding the guy to turn the code into, hes in the south western corner of the trade quarter in the Undercity. Be sure to be on the character you want to have it cause you can't have it on more than one.

TomWolf 09-03-08 02:05 AM

Congratulations to all the winners! 13 of the winning entries were on my personal list of winners, one extra gratz to you guys =)

Also a congratulation to Carienn and Wowinterface for a very nice competition!

Now I'm going to reread all the winning entries and enjoy them =) and try to find the funny parts of those I didn't quite get earlier.

TomWolf

PS. One extra gratz to the 7 that wasn't on my personal list of winners as well...felt wrong to not include you there....

TomWolf 09-03-08 02:20 AM

After reading all the posts here I wanted to write a killing response to some of them but....I won't =)

I'm just to thrilled that I've found a site that I didn't feel do anything wrong during the entire competition. When there was a delay in releasing the winners we got good word from the contest admin, she waited for more votes to come in to ensure as little favouritism as possible, contest closed at the time it was supposed to, wrongful entries actually got word about that asap....it's been a pure joy taking part of a competition here.

Even if I don't agree with all the entries...hey, I didn't expect to. In an election where you win by 70% of the votes there are still 30% out there who thinks the wrong guy won....and if you are 5 people in the election and win by 40%...then more then half of the voters think the wrong guy won. Nobody will agree with all the winning entries when there are 20 winners. That's just something we have to deal with like mature people.

Again, thanks for the competition Carienn. I'll do better the next time =)

TomWolf

Drazzii 09-03-08 08:35 AM

Congratz to all the winners! :D :D :D And especially thanks to those that helped decide on those winners!

Just out of curiosity, I was kinda wondering if any of them had thoughts or had stuff to say on any of the entries. I was curious what others thought of specifically my entries. My last entry, http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...5&postcount=66, referenced one of my favorite spots in the World of Warcraft. At that spot, there is a play-on an old sci-fi movie called "Buckaroo Banzai" where in the movie they modify a rocket-car to go through a mountain into the 8th-dimension. I thought it appropiate for the comic to reference a rocket car that was "modd'ed", and then crashed.

Anyways, just curious what the judges thought :)

Thanks again!

Seerah 09-03-08 09:33 AM

Ah, I'm sorry, Drazzii, but I'm not familiar with that reference. :( I thought your "Don't mod and drive" was cute, though. But along with not quite getting it, I think the background image was a little too out of focus (gave me a slight headache trying to look at it to see what it was a picture of). Next time, try not to blur so much. ;)

Arathius 09-03-08 10:40 AM

Does anyone know how long it takes to get your beta key converted to US?

Duugu 09-03-08 10:57 AM

Well ... I'm a bit curious about some winners too. Thought this is a "comic contest", not a "funny screenshot contest". ;)

Nevertheless, congratulations to all winners and thanks a lot to the staff for this contest - which motivated me to draw my first comics in yonks. :)
Maybe I'll come up with some more ... even without a contest.

Seerah 09-03-08 12:20 PM

In this realm, it is quite common for screenshots to be used for comics. Take a look at Blizzard's comic contest or the Flintlocke series for example. :)

Drazzii 09-03-08 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arathius (Post 101191)
Does anyone know how long it takes to get your beta key converted to US?

I sent off the card code to Blizz's beta billing people thinkin' that was what needed to be changed, but found out it had to be redeemed first. Then when Blizzard sends me an actual beta key (whenever that'll be) it has to be converted. I didn't know how this worked when I got the card code (not that I'm complaining!), so just FYI for those that are looking to do the same thing.

If anyone did it right the first time, how did it take to get the beta key?

Howlsatmoonlight 09-03-08 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drazzii (Post 101207)
I sent off the card code to Blizz's beta billing people thinkin' that was what needed to be changed, but found out it had to be redeemed first. Then when Blizzard sends me an actual beta key (whenever that'll be) it has to be converted. I didn't know how this worked when I got the card code (not that I'm complaining!), so just FYI for those that are looking to do the same thing.

If anyone did it right the first time, how did it take to get the beta key?

Same thing happened to me, I emailed them and they responded today having me input my code on the 'Future Beta Sign-Up' page. I too would be interested in knowing how long it took to get a key after submitting the code via the beta sign-up page.

Drazzii 09-03-08 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howlsatmoonlight (Post 101211)
Same thing happened to me, I emailed them and they responded today having me input my code on the 'Future Beta Sign-Up' page....

Yeah... I was wonderin' what it meant by "Blizzard Future Beta Sign-up" in the email response I got. I'm hoping it's just a auto-response from back when the beta first started that was never edited. I guess only time will see.

Cairenn 09-03-08 03:51 PM

Yeah, so, didn't quite have all the info I needed. Guess you apparently need to go to the site, put the code in, THEN email them, if you need to exchange an EU key for a US key. Sorry for the confusion.

Arathius 09-03-08 06:33 PM

For those that haven't tried yet, here are the instructions I was given.

Quote:

> Hello,
>
> You will need to redeem your card code here: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/misc/beta-signup.html.
>
> After you have successfully redeemed the code, you will be queued to receive a beta invitation. Once you receive the beta invitation key, let me know and I will exchange it for a working US key.
>
> Regards,
> Justin T
> Billing & Account Services
> Blizzard Entertainment
> www.worldofwarcraft.com

Undel 09-03-08 08:06 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek: *spasm* :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bouvi 09-04-08 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chauronity (Post 101102)

Sorry I tried to keep quiet but... Did you notice that was not the only one I did? I did like 13 or 14 entries. That was probably not the one that won it but it was where the chuck series started. Plus I did 2 others besides the chuck series.

I am not going to apologize for winning as I worked for it. Putting up 1, 2 or more a day. I am a very busy person with a full time job, own a martial arts school, have a family. So my few minutes I could spare to work on this was valuable time.

Again sorry but this kind of burned me. Again congrats to all the winners.

Drazzii 09-05-08 08:18 AM

So, has any of the winners received an actual beta key yet? Just curious ;)

Bouvi 09-05-08 09:32 AM

I haven't yet. At the mercy of blizzard. Whatcha gonna do. ;)

I for one am going to hurry up and wait. LOL.

Drazzii 09-05-08 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouvi (Post 101401)
I haven't yet. At the mercy of blizzard. Whatcha gonna do. ;)

I for one am going to hurry up and wait. LOL.

Ah yes, hurry up and wait! :) At least I'm getting to enjoy my new mini Tyrael!!

Bouvi 09-05-08 10:56 AM

Yeah I did not realize how rare they were. Everyone on Stormrage is asking about it. So much I am thinking of making a macro for the response. I always say I won it in a contest at wowinterface.com.