10-09-08, 05:15 AM   #1
Dyspeptic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Rich mans toy.

I was browsing the AH the other day and had an epiphany.

Not being in any way skilled with coding myself I don't know if this is possible or not but I felt I should run it up the flag-pole and see if anyone salutes......

Here goes:
My epiphany was to develop a mod that uses functions like RatingBuster, Auctioneer and ArkInventory (or similar mods, these are just examples of the more popular ones that have probably have existing usable code).
What I would like this mod to do is scan your equipped gear plus selected gear in your bags (off-spec items and such) and using info from RatingBuster find upgrades for you automatically on AH (could also have options to scan your bank or even look for upgrades for other toons you have on that server).

This mod would be very handy for lvl'ing up from 70-80 when Wrath hits (and even for lower levels) as a wealth of new items will appear on the AH and finding the right one for you may well become a time consuming chore. With the scan function every time you ding and go to train you just stop by the AH hit the scan button and go make a fresh pot of coffee while the mod works its magic.

As I said I have no skill to write code for such a mod but if any of you developers read this and feel up to the challenge feel free to take the ball and run with it.
10-09-08, 05:53 AM   #2
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

i have my doubts if that will be doable at all, since first of all ratingbuster looks at the overal stats on the item you have equipped, with gems and enchants on it, so even though an enchanted + wel socketed item is maybe a tiny bit better than a not enchanted piece of gear, this piece of gear will simply not be shown as an upgrade by the mod you want to make.

secondly, if it is doable, then a manual search and compare would go a lot quicker than letting an addon compare each and every piece of gear on AH just to see if its an upgrade or not, this would i think consume a lot of memory and not to mention time for the scans. While if you do it manually, you can have it done within a minute.

Besides, on high populated realms, the gear on an ah is bought and added every few seconds and this would mean that the addon, if you want it as accurate with the list as possible, also needs to scan if the gear is still there, and if there's new gear added in the time it has scanned, meaning an infinite scanning loop which never gives a good result.

third, i think if it was even remotely possible, the guys from auctioneer would've already implemented such a feature into their package

i'm not a coder / dev myself, but thinking thoroughly about the actions the mod has to do, and the fair share of code that is required to do so, and the 100% flawless integration with the AH coding of blizz, makes it a bit too hard to actually make such an addon.

but if any developer can come up with an addon like this, i would love to alpha and beta test it and eventually use it as well

Greetz,

CM
10-09-08, 09:03 AM   #3
Aethra
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Dyspeptic View Post
What I would like this mod to do is scan your equipped gear plus selected gear in your bags (off-spec items and such) and using info from RatingBuster find upgrades for you automatically on AH (could also have options to scan your bank or even look for upgrades for other toons you have on that server).
You may want to check out Pawn. While it doesn't interact with the AH at all, it certainly does make choosing gear easier. I started using it after being completely overwhelmed by gear choices on my druid. It's terrific!
10-11-08, 01:07 AM   #4
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

hehe, i love ratingbuster tbh, but i don't think (as stated above) its possible for an addon to compare a gemmed + enchanted item to a non gemmed and non enchanted item on the ah, and then decide if its an upgrade or not.

simply because then the addon has to also take into account the different types of gems / enchants that are usefull for the class your browsing ah with. (also another really big part of code would be needed for this)

I use ratingbuster to manually compare if an item is an upgrade or not, and believe, it's not easy sometimes on my druid. I need to check if its a good tanking upgrade or if its a good dps upgrade , and i have to take into account that a non-gemmed and enchanted piece of gear, is better than the one i got with gems and enchants, even though the addon itself says for example your feral att power goes down with 40 while this could be solved with enchants and gems Also looking at stance-based gear like tanking gear for bear form, will not display accurate stats in caster form.

a better addon than Pawn, is the ratingbuster one, since from what i see on the screenies, it shows the healbot value in the tooltip and you need to open the plugin for a good comparison? whilst ratingbuster shows all stats for the class, like att power, armor, etc. directly on the tooltip, no setup / config needed for it and it directly compares the stats on the hovered piece of gear to the one you have equipped
10-11-08, 06:59 AM   #5
aximil7
A Kobold Labourer
with RatingBuster you can actually choose what stats to display and if you want it to calculate your enchants and gems.
10-11-08, 07:52 AM   #6
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by aximil7 View Post
with RatingBuster you can actually choose what stats to display and if you want it to calculate your enchants and gems.
it does out of the box thats what i love so much about this addon, you don't need too much setup, since it works almost perfectly for every character. The hunter is a bit of a problem without configuring the options, since ratingbuster also takes the mana / mana regen / all basic caster stuff into account when you are comparing gear, but for my lock / druid / rogue / mage / priest and shammy it works perfect Its one of the best addons there is if you ask me.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Rich mans toy.