05-18-08, 08:34 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
NOW LIVE! WoWInterface SVN!

Authors, over the years we’ve given you a number of features designed specifically for authors. There are forums for you to discuss your addons with your users and to get help on your projects from other authors, an irc channel to hang out in and get help with your projects or just chat, an auto-uploader to aid you in uploading your addon to the site, and a portal system that gives you your own mini-website, with all the features that includes (RSS feeds, FAQs, News, Bug & Feature Request tracking, etc).

Now we are giving you the last piece of the puzzle - WoWInterface now offers SVN for our authors. What is svn, you may ask? Svn (or Subversion) is an online version control system which aids in your development of an addon and its history of stable (and unstable, or even branched) versions.

What can I do with this new svn?

Through the new svn, you may upload developmental versions of your addon, create branches to try new approaches or new features in your addon, tag specific revisions to keep a history of stable versions, and also give permissions to other authors to form a team of people who can update your project. You can then push versions of your project straight to the normal download page on this site as either normal releases or beta versions.

How do I use the new svn?

The new "Projects" tab in the top-right corner of the site will take you to the svn. There, you will see a list of all projects currently on the svn. See our FAQ Guide for information on how to set up your projects, push versions live, etc. You will need either a command-line based svn client or GUI based client (like TortoiseSVN) to upload files from your computer to the svn.

Where can I learn more?

For more information about Subversion in general, check out this site: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

For a guide on how to use our specific svn, see our SVN FAQ.

For some tutorials (albeit ones geared towards a different svn repository) see the wowace wiki.

Please feel free to provide feedback here.

Special thanks to...
  • Cladhaire - major help with the SVN it self
  • Tekkub - writing the faq and taking pictures
  • and the rest of the wowi staff & featured authors for testing and feedback during beta.

Also a reminder to all of our users, don't forget to check out the latest Pick of the Week!

Last edited by Seerah : 05-19-08 at 04:30 PM.

05-18-08, 08:36 PM   #2
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I knew it

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7

05-18-08, 08:52 PM   #3
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

For those who are bound to ask, if you wish to move an existing svn repo over, you will need to talk to clad or dolby. The repo has to be manually created on the server.

However, there may be a way to mirror an existing repo using svk... but you're on your own there!

05-19-08, 02:35 AM   #4
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
For those who are bound to ask, if you wish to move an existing svn repo over, you will need to talk to clad or dolby. The repo has to be manually created on the server.
The repo can be _created_ by the web form, but we need to (before things are commited) pull a dump in using svnadmin. Indeed, contact me for this.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."

05-19-08, 02:43 PM   #5
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Tekkeb - writeing the faq and taking pictures
... I just now noticed this.... /angry

05-19-08, 04:30 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Fixed! >.<
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-19-08, 04:55 PM   #7
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Sorry Tekkeb

Last edited by Dolby : 05-19-08 at 05:01 PM.

05-19-08, 09:31 PM   #8
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Sorry Tekkeb
First ... another great addition to the site ... great job guys/gals.

Second .. please fix the colors for the Light version of the site because black on dark gray on black just doesn't work

05-20-08, 12:12 PM   #9
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Kudos to the team. SVN is a perfect addition. /cheer

07-10-08, 01:13 PM   #10
DjRicko
A Kobold Labourer
EDIT: Never mind...

Last edited by DjRicko : 07-10-08 at 01:18 PM.

08-01-08, 10:51 PM   #11
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Split Phanx's first post off into the correct forum. Not the correct place to post on a old thread.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...7305#post97305

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » NOW LIVE! WoWInterface SVN!