09-04-15, 05:59 PM   #1
Beastwithin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Recolor Default WoW UI?

Hey everyone!

I have googled the crap outa this and I cant find an answer anywhere. I am looking for an addon that will allow you to change default UI settings within wow such as border colors... button colors... button text color... I like the style and texture of what WoW has but what I want is darker almost black borders with green glow instead of the greyish with black glow.

If an addon exists that allows this that would be great! If not - I would like to just mess with the textures that the default UI calls up.

Is there a way to isolate and modify the default wow textures? (UI only not world or chars) Or do I have to download the artwork and create a UI addon from scratch?
09-04-15, 06:18 PM   #2
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Have you looked at Aurora or Miirgui?
09-04-15, 07:02 PM   #3
Beastwithin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ya I saw those. I see that they were able to edit the borders themselves which is sort of what I want. They have removed the default blizzard textured borders for their own. I want to keep the blizzard textures but modify them to make them darker. I want to keep the blizzard buttons but make them glowing green with black text instead of red with yellow text. I want to modify every frame in game that has the blizzard border.

Am I going to have to write my own addon basically copying the blizzard layout with my own textures? If so, is there a prefabbed "Addon Version" of the default wow interface that I can start from since all I would be changing is the textures themselves?

Or can I just add textures to my interface folder with the same names used by wow that would get used instead?
09-04-15, 10:16 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Old... http://www.wowinterface.com/download...FacePaint.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-05-15, 02:15 AM   #5
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Beastwithin View Post
Ya I saw those. I see that they were able to edit the borders themselves which is sort of what I want. They have removed the default blizzard textured borders for their own. I want to keep the blizzard textures but modify them to make them darker. I want to keep the blizzard buttons but make them glowing green with black text instead of red with yellow text. I want to modify every frame in game that has the blizzard border.

Am I going to have to write my own addon basically copying the blizzard layout with my own textures? If so, is there a prefabbed "Addon Version" of the default wow interface that I can start from since all I would be changing is the textures themselves?

Or can I just add textures to my interface folder with the same names used by wow that would get used instead?
What exactly do you mean by blizzard border? The border around your character pane for example?

You will have to extract the graphic files using this method: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Extrac...nterface_files and then you can start modding.

The border specificly are located in the FrameGeneral border (atleast most of them i think theres a feew frames using the old structure of having seperate files per framefolder).

The buttons you want to change or located in the buttons folder You can then place the textures with the same name and file format as the original ones in the correct folder you create under interface, so for example you edit the file GeneralFrameInsetBorders.blp in FrameGeneral, you will then create a fodler named FrameGeneral in your Interface folder and put the file there.

Useful programs:

Blp View

BLPPNG Converter

Blp Plugin for Photoshop

Last edited by Miiru : 09-05-15 at 02:18 AM.
09-05-15, 09:19 AM   #6
Beastwithin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
That is exactly what I want. I did some digging last night and discovered that using the art kit provided by WoW I can just convert BLP's to PNG's, edit them, convert them back and as long as they are named the exact same (same file saved in the same directory) they override.

This has allowed me to recolor buttons, borders, highlights etc.... happy happy boy!

Now I just want to change the font color on the buttons but I feel as though I will have to code that in as it seems the buttons use a GetText feature...

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Recolor Default WoW UI?