11-26-15, 09:53 AM   #1
Trigger Game Studios
A Kobold Labourer

Exclamation Looking for experienced advanced addon developers.

Hi my names Ashlie Williams. I'm the head at a small upstarting independent game development studio in Ontario Canada. We are interested in developing a completely custom ground up rebuild of the World of Warcraft user interface including everything from your in game hun to the interface panels for character information, inventory, etc. While currently not even out of R&D concept stages we are looking for experienced Lua WoW programmers to assist in the AddOn's development.

The AddOn we are looking to create will completely redesign the interface to be console controler friendly and allow the player to easily and effectively play WoW as they would if it were developed for the Xbox or Playstation. While yes I am aware there is currently an AddOn called console port that allows for controller use were aiming much further. Going as far as redefining how information is relayd to the player and the entire interface design right down to the quest log, map, professions tabs... everything.

If you are interested or want to know more please feel free to comment in this thread or send me an email at [email protected]
Please title your email accordingly. Something like WoW AddOn programmer or similar will do fine thanks.
11-26-15, 01:41 PM   #2
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons

I'd say I'm rather experienced in this matter and I'm curious about what you have in mind.
I was headed in this direction before, but redesigning the entire interface by myself was kind of a huge undertaking, not to mention the huge demands on customization from the player base making it incredibly difficult to tailor for everyone. My current approach fits any interface, even if most of that is not perfectly tailored for a controller. ConsolePort is very dynamic in this matter.

I'm wondering if you might be wasting your time by trying to redesign the entire interface though. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Some parts are due for different design choices, but far from everything needs to be changed. If your concept is even remotely piggybacking off the current UI, you should probably wait and see what Blizzard has in store for the UI in Legion.

When it comes to gameplay improvements; to my knowledge, you can't really expand on the system without memory editing, which is a ticket straight to the Warden courtroom. Everything that's related to world interaction is off limits and only responds to mouse and keyboard input.

Also, speaking to you as a company, you're not allowed to sell add-ons for WoW. The only thing you could legally sell is the input mapper that translates controller input to keyboard and mouse for WoW to read. Assuming you're not going to publish it for free, that is.

Last edited by MunkDev : 11-26-15 at 04:05 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Looking for experienced advanced addon developers.