01-09-15, 09:38 AM   #1
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How can I tell when the player enters their garrison?

In a nutshell, I want to know either when the player enters the garrison, or whether the player is inside the garrison at a given moment.
Is there any way to do this that doesn't require comparing the actual zone name (which requires checking for Alliance/ Horde, as well as translations(?

Remember, every time you post a comment on an add-on, a kitten gets its wings!
01-09-15, 10:18 AM   #2
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Lua Code:
  1. local garrisonMaps = {
  2.     [1152] = true, -- FW Horde Garrison Level 1
  3.     [1330] = true, -- FW Horde Garrison Level 2
  4.     [1153] = true, -- FW Horde Garrison Level 3
  5.     [1154] = true, -- FW Horde Garrison Level 4
  6.     [1158] = true, -- SMV Alliance Garrison Level 1
  7.     [1331] = true, -- SMV Alliance Garrison Level 2
  8.     [1159] = true, -- SMV Alliance Garrison Level 3
  9.     [1160] = true, -- SMV Alliance Garrison Level 4
  10. }
  12. local function InGarrison()
  13.     local name, instanceType, difficultyID, difficultyName, maxPlayers, dynamicDifficulty, isDynamic, instanceMapID, instanceGroupSize = GetInstanceInfo()
  14.     if(garrisonMaps[instanceMapID]) then
  15.         return true
  16.     end
  17.     return false
  18. end
01-09-15, 12:43 PM   #3
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Can't you just do this instead of the if...then block?
Code:
return garrisonMaps[instanceMapID]
If you really needed to typecast into boolean, then this would work.
Code:
return garrisonMaps[instanceMapID] and true or false
01-09-15, 01:27 PM   #4
Banknorris
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Code:
return garrisonMaps[instanceMapID] or false
01-09-15, 02:54 PM   #5
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

C_Garrison.IsOnGarrisonMap() returns whether they're currently in a garrison, and I believe C_Garrison.IsUsingPartyGarrison() can be checked against to see if they're in their own.
01-09-15, 03:37 PM   #6
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
C_Garrison.IsOnGarrisonMap() returns whether they're currently in a garrison, and I believe C_Garrison.IsUsingPartyGarrison() can be checked against to see if they're in their own.
Damnit, I went over all the garrison functions and somehow managed to miss that one... thanks
(The GetInstanceInfo solution was working well though!)

[Edit]
Oh, right, I did actually find that function, but saw that it kept returning true even when I was outside my garrison so I moved on... it's odd, but it does change to false if I move far enough.

Last edited by Malsomnus : 01-09-15 at 03:40 PM.
01-09-15, 06:23 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
There is a radius around your actual garrison walls that is still part of your garrison "property" and part of the garrison instance.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-09-15, 06:40 PM   #8
Lombra
A Molten Giant

I also think the radius of the actual zone is different than that of the phased area. Maybe the different functions pertains to those two different areas.
01-10-15, 07:01 AM   #9
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I would assume one of the zone events would fire when you enter a Garrison? Meaning there is no specific or special zone event fired? That would be my guess, and then check the above mentioned Garrison APIs.

*Edit: What I am curious to find out is if you are inside a specific Garrison building, and how you would find that out. For example, are you inside the Mine, or Barracks, etc.

Last edited by myrroddin : 01-10-15 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Subzone within a subzone?
01-10-15, 10:23 AM   #10
Lombra
A Molten Giant

The minimap text changes when you enter a building so it should be trivial.
01-10-15, 11:30 AM   #11
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
The minimap text changes when you enter a building so it should be trivial.
Apologies, I was not clear. Using ZONE_CHANGED_INDOORS and GetSubZoneText() will work up until a point. But if you need to do an if/then check, since the result of GetSubZoneText() is localized, and AddOns cannot as far as I know get subzoneIDs, that becomes very difficult. You can't check for GetSubZoneText()=="Cleft of Shadows" on a non-English client. By the same token, you can't use that method to check if the player is in the Garrison mine, castle, herb garden, etc.

Besides that if/then check being very difficult, how can we tell which Garrison building is in which plot, since each player can put any large building onto any large plot, medium building on any medium plot, etc. Or even if a plot is unused.

Must we still depend on LibBabble-SubZones-3.0?
01-10-15, 12:06 PM   #12
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Apologies, I was not clear. Using ZONE_CHANGED_INDOORS and GetSubZoneText() will work up until a point. But if you need to do an if/then check, since the result of GetSubZoneText() is localized, and AddOns cannot as far as I know get subzoneIDs, that becomes very difficult. You can't check for GetSubZoneText()=="Cleft of Shadows" on a non-English client. By the same token, you can't use that method to check if the player is in the Garrison mine, castle, herb garden, etc.

Besides that if/then check being very difficult, how can we tell which Garrison building is in which plot, since each player can put any large building onto any large plot, medium building on any medium plot, etc. Or even if a plot is unused.

Must we still depend on LibBabble-SubZones-3.0?
Well, it might not be trivial, but it's totally possible. Instead of comparing the subzone name to e.g. "Cleft of Shadows", you compare it to the localized version of that string.
As for the plot number, you can obtain it through the Garrison API though it's a bit annoying. What do you need this for, anyway?

01-10-15, 02:21 PM   #13
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Assuming the subzone of the building has the same name as it does on the garrison map, you could loop over the plots to create a table with the localized name as the key and the building id as the value.

That would give you something to cross reference the minimap text with for a language-independent number.

Check C_Garrison.GetBuildings() and C_Garrison.GetBuildingInfo(buildingID)

Last edited by semlar : 01-10-15 at 02:23 PM.
01-10-15, 05:36 PM   #14
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...light=garrison

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?pli=1#gid=0
01-10-15, 10:42 PM   #15
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Malsomnus View Post
What do you need this for, anyway?
A pet project, that is a LibStub version of Astrolabe. I'm not in any rush, but forward-thinking about marking maps with icons, when the map is a subzone. For example, micro-dungeons or the Garrison mine.

Yes, I realize the nodes in the mine and herb garden are random; one thing at a time!
01-23-15, 02:50 PM   #16
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
Check C_Garrison.GetBuildings() and C_Garrison.GetBuildingInfo(buildingID)
I think this should work well, though I'll need to do some testing. GetBuildings includes a texture name ("GarrBuilding_Min_1_A") which I think will be the same for everyone. It also gives the building ID which you can pass to GetBuildingInfo to get the (hopefully) locale-correct name which you can use to compare to the SubZone text.

I checked on 2 Alliance characters, one with a Level 3 Mine and one with a Level 2. buildingIDs were different, but plotID (59) and texPrefix(see above) were the same. WoWHead shows the Mines being building ID(61-62) regardless of faction.
01-23-15, 02:55 PM   #17
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I checked an Alliance guy who did not have a Mine yet and /dump C_Garrison.GetBuildingInfo(61) still returned "Lunarfall Excavation" for the name. I tried a Horde who didn't have a Garrison yet and it returned the same name, which isn't right. I don't (yet) have a Horde with a Garrison so I'm not sure what it would return then.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » How can I tell when the player enters their garrison?