01-06-11, 09:46 PM   #1
panicckk
A Murloc Raider
Angry Nooo addon button :(

from the start, i didnt have an addon file in interface, but after uninstalling and reinstalling, still no folder. then suddenly it jjust appeared.
anyways im not gonna ask how its there. but
in the addon file, there are already files in there that i dont know about. i put addons in there and still no button.
this is what it looks like
C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns
its been 4 hours. im going to go crazy
Edit: Heres the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq-Br5ErtJU

Last edited by panicckk : 01-07-11 at 05:19 PM.
01-06-11, 10:02 PM   #2
panicckk
A Murloc Raider
also if it helps, i dont have a world of warcraft file in "program files (x86)"
but i copied the wow folder to there now im just waiting.
and i make it so wow runs under adminitrator. :/
01-06-11, 11:08 PM   #3
Taryble
A Molten Giant

1) A fresh installation of WoW does not always have an "Interface" folder, and rarely has an "Addons" folder. This usually has to be created by the user

2) Once WoW detects an "Addons" folder, it creates empty folders inside it named Blizzard_<stuff>.

3) In Windows Vista and Windows 7, having your WoW folder in the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86) folder is not a good idea - it causes complications in where the addons/WTF/Cache folders are actually stored by the system.

4) When installing addons, often there is a problem called "folder in folder". The easiest way to detect this is to find a file for the addon named <addonname>.toc. For example, the addon Omen installs into a folder called "Omen", and inside the Omen folder is a file named "Omen.toc". That is, the path for the Omen.toc file looks like this:
World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\Omen\Omen.toc
Folder-in-folder looks more like this:
World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\Omen-v3.1.0\Omen\Omen.toc
The .toc file must be located in a direct subfolder of the "Addons" folder, basically. Interface\Addons\addonname\addonname.toc - anything else causes a problem.

If you have folder-in-folder, just move the 2nd folder (in the above example, "Omen") into the Addons folder, and this will fix the problem.
01-07-11, 03:37 PM   #4
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
1) A fresh installation of WoW does not always have an "Interface" folder, and rarely has an "Addons" folder. This usually has to be created by the user

2) Once WoW detects an "Addons" folder, it creates empty folders inside it named Blizzard_<stuff>.
These statements are not completely true. If you delete the interface folder WoW will create the interface, Addons folders, and create the Blizzard_* folders and the files in them when the game is started.

These folders are never needed to be created by the user.
01-07-11, 04:25 PM   #5
panicckk
A Murloc Raider
ha alright. i understand files like a 5 year old. i didnt understand what you were saying about the file in file, but i went to the file search and looked for Omen, and nothing came up in advanced search.... but im posting a video in 2 seconds to show you guys my process. thanks for the help though guys!
also also, if the patch is not done downloading could that affect it?

also if anyone explaines anything from now on, pretend im 5
01-07-11, 05:19 PM   #6
panicckk
A Murloc Raider
heres the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq-Br5ErtJU
01-07-11, 06:58 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yep. Folder-in-folder syndrome. Remember that window that popped up asking you where to extract the .zip file to? The folder it recommended is named after the file name of the .zip file, putting all of the contents of the .zip file inside. If you open up the folders you extracted, you would see more folders inside. [b]These[b] are the folders that need to be in your AddOns folder. They can't be inside some new, random folder that your extraction utility created for you. Some addons are supposed to have multiple folders (such as Auctioneer and DBM).

In the future, select "Open" instead of "Extract All..." from the right-click menu. Anything you see inside can then be dragged out of there to your AddOns folder.

Another method would be to install 7-zip (which can also extract .rar and .7z files and is free). It adds its own section to the right-click menu, which has the option of "Extract Here". This way you can still extract more than one compressed file at a time.

If you still want to see a walk-through, check out my tutorial video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dylXGXET8OA It's a few years out of date and uses Windows XP, but it should still help.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-07-11, 08:40 PM   #8
panicckk
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Yep. Folder-in-folder syndrome. Remember that window that popped up asking you where to extract the .zip file to? The folder it recommended is named after the file name of the .zip file, putting all of the contents of the .zip file inside. If you open up the folders you extracted, you would see more folders inside. [b]These[b] are the folders that need to be in your AddOns folder. They can't be inside some new, random folder that your extraction utility created for you. Some addons are supposed to have multiple folders (such as Auctioneer and DBM).

In the future, select "Open" instead of "Extract All..." from the right-click menu. Anything you see inside can then be dragged out of there to your AddOns folder.

Another method would be to install 7-zip (which can also extract .rar and .7z files and is free). It adds its own section to the right-click menu, which has the option of "Extract Here". This way you can still extract more than one compressed file at a time.

If you still want to see a walk-through, check out my tutorial video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dylXGXET8OA It's a few years out of date and uses Windows XP, but it should still help.
omg omg
2 days now. and u helped me. it works.
thankyou soooo much
this just made my day <3

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Nooo addon button :(