11-01-14, 01:25 AM   #1
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Easier access to addon comments

Currently, in order to check for new comments on my addons, I have to hover on "Author", click on "My AddOn List", and then scroll past the list of all my addons to see the comments. For someone with just a few addons, this is probably fine, but the list of my addons takes up 5 full screens. That's a lot of scrolling!

I'd propose either:

(a) move the list of recent comments on my addons to their own page, and add a link to that page in the Author menu, or

(b) give the "Latest Comments" heading an id, and add a separate link in the Author menu that points to whatever.html#comments.

Yes, I'm aware there's an on-site notification for new comments, but it's not always reliable -- for example, if there are new comments on multiple addons, the notification goes away after I've looked at just one -- and often I want to go back and look at a recent comment I've already seen -- for example, if someone reported a problem and I read their comment from work, I want to go back and read it again from home when I'm actually investigating the problem. Email and RSS notifications are more reliable, but are also very clumsy as anything other than a notification of new items.
11-01-14, 08:56 AM   #2
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Or simply just make the addons list collapsible. That can be handled with a little bit of jquery and css - no need for any server side modifications.
11-01-14, 10:31 AM   #3
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Sign me in for that. It is the feature I use the most on this site.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
11-01-14, 10:33 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
Or simply just make the addons list collapsible. That can be handled with a little bit of jquery and css - no need for any server side modifications.
They could also use the same "tab" system they use on individual addon pages, but either way would add another click, which would actually require more effort than pressing the PageDown key 5 times.
11-01-14, 12:41 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
To be fair, it takes up 5 pages only because you have your browser set to display everything HUGE. My browser window isn't maximized and it still takes up less than 2 pages on mine.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-01-14, 02:14 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
To be fair, it takes up 5 pages only because you have your browser set to display everything HUGE. My browser window isn't maximized and it still takes up less than 2 pages on mine.
Your list is only 2.5 pages on my screen.
11-01-14, 02:49 PM   #7
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
They could also use the same "tab" system they use on individual addon pages, but either way would add another click, which would actually require more effort than pressing the PageDown key 5 times.
True. A tab system would be even better. If you're familiar with user-scripts, this should do the trick until they get around to adding it.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/6220-wowi-addon-tabs

If you're using Chrome, get the addon Tampermonkey. If Firefox, use Greasemonkey. It basically allows you to inject your own javascript into the pages you visit. The script I linked above will only become active on the author addons page. Actual script shown below.

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name       WoWI Addon Tabs
// @namespace  digital-utopia.org
// @version    0.2
// @description  tab control for author addons
// @match      http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/author*
// @copyright  2014, Digital_Utopia
// @grant unsafeWindow
// ==/UserScript==
var $ = unsafeWindow.jQuery;

var addons = $(".box-title:eq(0)").parent();
var comments = $(".box-title:eq(1)").parent();
$(comments).css("visibility","hidden");
handleClick=function(tar)
{
    if($(tar).parent().attr("class")!="current")
    {
     	$(".current").attr("class","nocurr");

$(tar).parent().attr("class","current");
		if($(tar).attr("id")=="Addons_tab")
        {
            $(comments).css("visibility","hidden");
            $(addons).css("display","block");
        }else{
            $(comments).css("visibility","visible");
            $(addons).css("display","none");
        }
    }
}
var parent = $("table:eq(1)",".clearfix").parent();
$(".vbmenu_popup",parent).after("<div class='tabwrapper' id='tabwrapper'><div class='boxtablist' style='background-color:#181818;'></div></div>");
$(".boxtablist").append("<li class='current' onclick='handleClick(this.childNodes[0])'><a id='Addons_tab' href='javascript:;' onclick='handleClick(this)'>Addons</a></li>");
$(".boxtablist").append("<li class='nocurr' onclick='handleClick(this.childNodes[0])'><a id='Comments_tab' href='javascript:;' onclick='handleClick(this)'>Comments</a></li>");
$(".tabwrapper").append("<div id='lvert-effect'></div>");
$(".tabwrapper").append("<div id='lhorz-effect'></div>");
$(".tabwrapper").append("<div style='clear:both;'></div>");

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Easier access to addon comments