01-06-15, 01:27 PM   #1
karix
A Murloc Raider
Altoholic won't share accounts

I installed altoholic, enabled sharing in both my accounts (under options/Account Sharing).

Now from Altoholic's main window I click the "Account Sharing Request" button. What does it do?

It does NOT ask me what account I want to share with, which is what I expected.

It just puts an error message in the chat, saying "Altoholic: Both parties must enable account sharing before using this feature (see options)".
01-06-15, 03:34 PM   #2
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Are you logged in on both accounts at the same time?
01-06-15, 04:14 PM   #3
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Both accounts have to be logged in at the same time to share information between them.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
01-06-15, 09:40 PM   #4
karix
A Murloc Raider
yes, I logged in on both at the same time. I even put the 2 characters in the same place, in case clicking on the other character did something.

oh, and both logins were on same computer.

Am I supposed to tell the addon what other account I want to request sharing with? If so, how? I did not see a place to do that. I assumed that after I clicked the share button it would pop up something asking me to name the account (or a character on it). Thanks.

Last edited by karix : 01-06-15 at 09:44 PM.
01-07-15, 02:55 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Based on a quick peek at the code it looks like you need to do one of the following:

(A) Check the "use target" box in the options, and then be targeting the character you want to send your data to. Both characters will need to be on the same realm for this to work.

(B) Check the "use name" box in the options, and then type the name of the character you want to send your data to into the "account target" box. This might work when the characters are on different realms.

Note that I do not actually know what those boxes are labelled in-game, nor where they are, since I don't use the addon and didn't look that far in the very large codebase, but I would assume they would be near the box you checked to enable account sharing.

Also (according to the readme) it will only send the data for characters on the current realm you're logged into, so if you have characters on multiple realms, you'll need to log into each realm on each account and repeat the process each time.
01-07-15, 07:26 AM   #6
karix
A Murloc Raider
Phanx, that sounds like exactly what I need. BUT I don't see a "use target" or "use account" anywhere in the options, or on any Altoholic screen.

Again, my guess is that when you push the Account Sharing Request button on the first screen that comes up when you open Alto, it is supposed to pop up a window with these options on it. But it doesn't.

Can someone else confirm this, or point out where they are?

My version: ingame says r131, file is _v6.0.003, downloaded 1/4/2015
01-07-15, 08:03 AM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Well, you can try running this command beforehand:

Code:
/run AltoAccountSharing_UseTarget:SetChecked(true)
If that doesn't work, you'll have to wait for someone who actually uses the addon.
01-07-15, 01:01 PM   #8
karix
A Murloc Raider
Phanx, thank you for your help.

The /run didn't change the behavior.

Next I will try uninstalling (deleting the SavedVariables for both accounts) and installing a previous release. From wowinterface I can download the last six: 6.0.002 back to 5.4.006.

I'll post another comment in this thread with what I learn.
01-07-15, 05:14 PM   #9
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Aha .. Found the window with all those options on.

The way to see what it looks like is as follows:

Character 1
Go into altoholic options and make sure sharing is enabled and maybe something to share
Add the name of the character to share with and select whether to deny/ask/auto accept any requests

Character 2
Go into altoholic options and make sure sharing is enabled and maybe something to share
Add the name of the character to share with and select whether to deny/ask/auto accept any requests

Character 2 then asks Character 1 ( and any other characters in that share list ) to share their data by clicking the Request Data Share button on the main Altoholic frame ( the shaking hands icon )

This then makes the frame in the screenshot appear.

Notice however that an attempt to request data from someone not online will not work. But at least you can see how it works with your own alts. But working with someone who is online, by name or target should then work as selected ( assuming no bugs ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Altoholic_Account_Share.jpg
Views:	1522
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	8419  

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
01-07-15, 06:48 PM   #10
karix
A Murloc Raider
Xrystal - which version of Altoholic are you using?

When I use version 6.0.3 (12/27/14) clicking the button never pops up the window you show in your screenshot.

wait - when I use 6.0.3 AFTER using one of the others, it does pop up the button. In between uses I deleted:

- All Alto* and Data* in the addons folder
- All Alto* and Data* in the SavedVariables under each account.

But apparently some info is saved somewhere else. Oh well

Last edited by karix : 01-07-15 at 06:57 PM.
01-07-15, 06:53 PM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I downloaded the one on this site. ( 6.0.003 (27/12/2014) )

It only comes up once both accounts are set to accept incoming requests.

On the screen you can see I was on Gwynedda. On the Gwynda toon I set up Gwynedda to auto accept. And on Gwynedda I set up Gwynda to auto accept. Then while on Gwynedda I clicked the button.

I don't recall doing anything different. Whether it worked in my case because they are on the same account I don't know but when I first clicked the button on Gwynda before doing any of the accept sharing options it didn't work either.

Characters:

01-07-15, 07:47 PM   #12
karix
A Murloc Raider
Thanks again everyone for helping. I am seeing both accounts data now.

For anyone else trying, another note: to get all the content to transfer (so it actually showed up in searches on the other account) I had to configure in 2 places:

on the sending-data side, in options/shared content, click each character. Then, to save huge delays (that were making me think it hung), go in each character and only check the things you want transferred (in my case, bag contents, auctions and mail....I don't need copies of quests, talents, glyphs, reputation etc.)

on the receiving side, after cliking shared request and in that window "send request", look to the right. there's a whole bunch of boxes, for each character. you have to check all the ones you actually want to copy (or click ALL at top) before you do Request Content, or nothing is transferred.

One last note: from the way things went, I'm assuming this was a one-time copy, and did NOT set up a link so that when things change in account B those changes are seen in account A. Just a caution. For me no problem, as I'm just monitoring crafting materials: I'll do all my A account crafting, then send its data to B, and so on.
01-07-15, 08:34 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Saved variables are stored per account and cannot be shared. I'm certain you need to do this whenever you want to update shared data between the accounts.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-08-15, 02:51 PM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Saved variables are stored per account and cannot be shared. I'm certain you need to do this whenever you want to update shared data between the accounts.
From what I understand from the code and visual cues is that this is for sharing of data between you the player and your friends or as you say another account of yourselves ( which in essence is another player addon wise ). As long as both parties ( toon wise ) set the flags/data accordingly they can, at a click of a button, receive data from their online friend/toon.

My tests were actually made on two characters on the same account and apart from the fact that I can't have both logged in at the same time it worked up to that part. So I suspect that the phrase Account Sharing is a misnomer and perhaps could have been renamed Data Sharing.

Characters:

01-08-15, 11:02 PM   #15
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
So I suspect that the phrase Account Sharing is a misnomer and perhaps could have been renamed Data Sharing.
Not really. Even if you could be logged into more than one character on the same account at the same time (which you can't, and never will) sending data between them would be like paying a moving crew to come move all your furniture from your current apartment to your current apartment -- totally pointless since the stuff you're moving is already at the destination.
01-09-15, 03:32 PM   #16
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Not really. Even if you could be logged into more than one character on the same account at the same time (which you can't, and never will) sending data between them would be like paying a moving crew to come move all your furniture from your current apartment to your current apartment -- totally pointless since the stuff you're moving is already at the destination.
I know, what I meant by Data Sharing is that it isn't sharing between two different accounts but more between two different characters ( clearly on two different account - however it lets you use it ). But on thinking more on it, perhaps it copies ALL data available on that characters setup which would in theory include data for other characters on that account. In that instance it would be account sharing ( just named under one of the characters names ) and of course I would retract my previous suggestion to a name change

Characters:

01-09-15, 07:18 PM   #17
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
... perhaps it copies ALL data available on that characters setup which would in theory include data for other characters on that account.
While I've never actually used it, that's my impression based on the text on the download page and in the README file included in the download, and seems sensible -- if you want to share your data between your two (or more) accounts it would be pretty annoying to have to log onto every single character separately and repeat the whole sending procedure.
01-10-15, 09:24 AM   #18
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
While I've never actually used it, that's my impression based on the text on the download page and in the README file included in the download, and seems sensible -- if you want to share your data between your two (or more) accounts it would be pretty annoying to have to log onto every single character separately and repeat the whole sending procedure.
Yeah, I didn't do a thorough test myself. Just wanted to see what was needed to get the frame to appear. With all my alts altoholics data gets pretty big so I stopped using it several alts ago.

Characters:

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Altoholic won't share accounts