07-16-15, 11:16 PM   #1
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Dipping my toes in... Looking for how to look for something...

So I found this rather silly addon, Exalted With The Floor , and I thought it would be fun. Turns out it's not got WoD info in it, and so I peeked in to see what needed to be changed, figuring I could just copy/paste with new names. This is a level of program/script modifying I used to be capable of, having had some schooling in CompSci, but ended up as staff in the department running backups and mostly poking at scripts that the main programmers wrote and making them work as things changed/upgraded. (no, never graduated, couldn't complete teh courses cause the theory hit my wall in math.)

It has a section that is assigning map names to numbers, (at least, I think that's what it's doing), and I can't quite figure out how to tell if it's getting the numbers and assigning names, or getting names and assigning numbers. I can't quite seem to find the logic flow, tho to figure it out. I was looking at getting Claidhaire's book, but I'm broke at the moment and so I'm asking here if there's something obvious I'm missing and/or how to ask the game which it is so I can simply do the copy/paste with Draenor info.

Thanks for any pointers!
07-17-15, 11:30 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Have you seen this sticky thread? http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43699
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-22-15, 06:44 AM   #3
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Unfortunately, that post itself is more information than I can take in at once, anymore. I'll poke at it again when the weather isn't eating my brain so much, maybe.

ETA: I'm not, right now, looking to create an entire addon from scratch that does a new thing, or does a big thing, or does something better. I'm just trying to modify a current addon to include more information. It's working generally, it just doesn't have the WoD maps identified. I'd search for the specific info, but I don't even know how to identify what I want to search for. Which gets into some personal frustrations that are TMI for this type of question. :/

Last edited by Barleduq : 07-22-15 at 07:17 AM.
07-22-15, 11:17 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, your title said "Looking for how to look for something..." If you have something specific that you're looking for and can't find it in the resources I linked, then we may be of more help.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Dipping my toes in... Looking for how to look for something...