11-17-14, 05:44 PM   #1
Mortarius
Premium Member
Premium Member
Adding Custom Textures In-Game

I did a quick search but couldn't really find what I was looking for, but I recently started to try out PhotoShop and I love it. I wanted to make some custom art for my UI such as re-skinning the cast bar, action bars, minimap, etc. Problem is I have no idea where to even start to put something I create in PhotoShop into the game. If someone could give me an idea or point me in the direction of some ways I can read up and learn to do this it would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Long time user of WoWInterface and have always loved this community. ^^
11-17-14, 07:55 PM   #2
MoonWitch
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...&highlight=blp

That one explains pretty much a workflow.

Basically; WoW uses .blp files as textures (The link above explains how to get a copy of them).
Then you convert them to TGA or PNG, you can edit them in Photoshop or GIMP or Paint.Net (or any other image mani program that supports TGA or PNG with transparency).

To load them into the game -> convert them back to BLP and place them in the correct folder (which for all things WoW in <your wow install>/Interface/

eg. The Tooltips will be <wow install>/Interface/TOOLTIPS/name.blp

--- That's to replace in game default textures.

For addons, you can just leave them as TGA and use them like that from within your xml or lua files.

Edit: This is your preferred category for info
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=14

Last edited by MoonWitch : 11-17-14 at 07:58 PM.
11-17-14, 10:54 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yep, if you're doing a manual override of the default textures, you'll need your textures in .blp format. If you just want to use a texture in an addon, like kgPanels (most recent version on Curse), then you can use either .blp or .tga format. kgPanels has an in-game tutorial on how to import textures into its library to use in a panel. Alternatively, you can follow the MyMedia directions in the SharedMedia addon to let kgPanels pick up your textures that way.

Moonwitch's first link is how someone does batch processing in PS for all of the icons in the game. If you want a more general guide on creating textures that you can use in WoW, see this forum thread.

If you want a BLP converter, there are several on this site, depending on if you are on Windows or a Mac. Just do a search for "blp".
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Adding Custom Textures In-Game