04-14-15, 04:50 PM   #1
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question License for oUF:Elen

I am tweaking oUF:Elen for my personal needs, but I do not see a license statement anywhere. On the addon's page, in a file etc... How is this handled if someday I wanted to release a layout based off of this?
04-14-15, 05:57 PM   #2
Mortarius
Premium Member
Premium Member
I would first attempt to contact the author through their addon page and state your intentions. Normally it is okay to change and add an addon to your compilation as long as you give credit where credit is due, but still better to get an okay from the actual offer.
04-14-15, 06:54 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If there is nothing, then there is no license. You have no license to do anything.

/edit to be less cryptic: Licenses *give* permissions. A lack of a license, means that no permissions are granted.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-14-15, 09:45 PM   #4
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
If there is nothing, then there is no license. You have no license to do anything.

/edit to be less cryptic: Licenses *give* permissions. A lack of a license, means that no permissions are granted.
Thanks for the edit. Otherwise a lack of an explanation...
04-14-15, 11:48 PM   #5
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

CurseForge has a mandatory field for the license, but OUF_Elen is not there :-/ so I think the only way you have to know is ask the author directly via pm.

Please let us know which kind of license it is :-)
04-15-15, 07:47 AM   #6
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

PM sent. I am learning, so I may have to roll my own layout (i.e. recode from scratch).
04-15-15, 03:41 PM   #7
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Changes

If there is no license and no response from the owner, how much rework is needed for it to be different? Can any code be kept? I assume change unique variables etc...
04-16-15, 12:50 AM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by rocnroll View Post
If there is no license and no response from the owner, how much rework is needed for it to be different? Can any code be kept? I assume change unique variables etc...
If it's the same code, then making cosmetic changes like renaming variables, replacing tabs with spaces, or removing line breaks doesn't change the fact that it's the same code. If you copy Harry Potter, but change all the character names, stylize all the dialogue with a Jamaican accent, and use a thesaurus to replace randomly selected adjectives, you're still plagiarizing.

If there's no license and the author doesn't give you permission (either by saying "no" or just not responding) then technically you'd have to rewrite the layout yourself from scratch, without using any of the original code. Copying the in-game appearance and behavior is fine though.
04-16-15, 11:08 PM   #9
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

Hi all,

I also started studying/copying/pasting/cutting/modifying from OUF_Elen because it was the layout I really understand better for my programming style.

But I think the result is so different (and probably much worse :-) that is very difficult to understand at first glance and without reading deeply the code (and here also there are so many differences now) that my layout is derived from Elen.

Btw what I think I have taken from Elen and not from any other layout is the idea and the setup of the layout. How it is written and coded not the code (vars, functions etc etc) itself that it is not the interesting part for a person that want to make the own layout and so have to change it a lot.
Obviusly if a day I'll released it (if ....) I include a clause stating that this works was derived by OUF_Elen layout.
Is not enough ?

BTW I'd to code my layout using a different approach (to experiment a little bit) and simplified it more.
Probably when I'll finish I'll rewrite from scratch :-)

The result of mine layout and the original Elen is here. Elen is the beautifull one. Guess which one :-)

Thanks.

Last edited by gmarco : 04-16-15 at 11:16 PM.
04-17-15, 03:51 PM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
If it's the same code, then making cosmetic changes like renaming variables, replacing tabs with spaces, or removing line breaks doesn't change the fact that it's the same code. If you copy Harry Potter, but change all the character names, stylize all the dialogue with a Jamaican accent, and use a thesaurus to replace randomly selected adjectives, you're still plagiarizing.
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post

If there's no license and the author doesn't give you permission (either by saying "no" or just not responding) then technically you'd have to rewrite the layout yourself from scratch, without using any of the original code. Copying the in-game appearance and behavior is fine though.

I agree with this, 100%. Weather or not there is a visible license the addon is copyrighted.

http://copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html
04-18-15, 09:06 AM   #11
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Understood, it is a good learning experience though.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » License for oUF:Elen