09-19-07, 01:02 PM   #1
BlackZam
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy popup ads

please stop the pop up ads that takes over the browserwindow...
and yes, I'm using latest Firefox at the moment 2.0.0.7...
09-19-07, 11:26 PM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ive been coming to this site for quite some time. Not sure what pop-ups your talking about. Never had them here. running the same version of firefox you are as well.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
09-20-07, 03:52 AM   #3
robthedude
Don't Panic

Same, I've never had popups here, I'm running IExplorer7 with Google Toolbar and there are no popups being blocked.

I'd say, with absolute certainty, that you have been spywared - get AdAware or something similar and give your computer a good scanning!

09-20-07, 09:37 AM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
To the best of my knowledge, we've never allowed pop-ups of any form in our ad rotation, but I will verify that for sure.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
09-20-07, 10:07 AM   #5
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
We dont run pop-up ads here, never have.

You may want to scan your computer for spyware. Best free online tool I've found is http://housecall.trendmicro.com
09-21-07, 02:26 PM   #6
BlackZam
A Murloc Raider
directed to http://se.drivecleaner.com/.freeware...&hv=&ap=&w=&j= when I tryed to go to recipebooks page.
09-21-07, 03:26 PM   #7
robthedude
Don't Panic

Have you scanned your computer for spyware yet?

09-21-07, 06:43 PM   #8
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by BlackZam
directed to http://se.drivecleaner.com/.freeware...&hv=&ap=&w=&j= when I tryed to go to recipebooks page.
Just tried it on 2 computers. One using firefox and the other using IE7 and no redirects here. Looks like you have something on your system.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
09-22-07, 01:48 AM   #9
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

That ad just screams "SPYWARE". Time to clean your system. As others have mentioned get Ad-Aware, install it, let update, then run it. Then once you have done this, get another program called CCleaner. Install and run it. This will go through and clean up bad registry settings, shortcuts and other crap that gets left behind. If Ad-Aware finds something and deletes it, parts (like registry settings, etc.) may get left behind due to the sloppy or deliberate nature of the coding of most Spyware. CCleaner will help clear out that trash and also help with disc space as it cleans out the leftovers that Windows (a very messy beast) leaves behind.

Also if you Firefox, get NoScript. This will allow you whitelist scripts that sites run (JavaScript, Flash, etc.) This will stop most "drive by downloads" and other types of attack cold as they cannot execute their scripts until you say so. Things will be tough at first as you build your whitelist, however if you hit a regular series of sites, then within a few days your whitelist will be populated.

And the final rule of thumb, avoid dodgy sites.
10-02-07, 06:24 AM   #10
Aequi
A Cyclonian
I'v gotten about 5 popups in the last 3-4 weeks both at home and on my work computer(both use EI6).

...all of them was the kind that attempts to scam to user into thinking that its a real windows messagebox claiming you might be infected by virus or spyware and to get a free scan by installing some malware ....

It doesn't come with every visit, and all of them has been while reading the mazzle forums during the last few weeks - don't have any screenshots, cause i useally ctrl-alt-del and kill the browser process.

I'v scanned my home pc with addaware and it found nothing but cookies and the useal MRU's. i highly doubt that my workpc is infected, because not only am i even more carefull when at work - but also because at work everything is managed centrally.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » popup ads