05-26-15, 08:27 AM   #1
fippydarkpaw
A Murloc Raider
Can *all* sounds be changed or only some?

Not sure where else to ask this question.

This is about placing files in the "World of Warcraft\Data\Sound" folder, like "Creature\WaterElemental\WaterElementalLoop.ogg" or "Spells\Tradeskills\MiningHitA.ogg" for example.

Can ALL game sounds be replaced this way, or does Blizzard only expose certain sounds to be modified?

I had the examples I mentioned set up with silent ogg files back in MoP expansion, and the Water Elemental still seems to work but the mining sound is back in WoD. Whatever, I can live with that. Right now I'm trying to get rid of the Feral Druid Savage Roar sound. I've looked through Bluspacecow's sounds file from MoP and also the sound database on wowhead. I put in a silent "Druid_SavageRoar_Impact01.ogg" (and 02 and 03, and even tried one without any number) with no effect. For testing, I also tried replacing the normal Cat Form sound. I tried replacing the Tiger creature attack sounds, Druid Mangle sounds, creating variations of "catattack" files (just in case that might work). So far nothing works. I downloaded several sound modification addons (HearKitty for example) to look through the files and glance at the Lua script to see if anything helpful might jump out at me, but I didn't see anything.

Is it possible the sounds I'm trying to change are simply fixed in the WoW client and can't be changed this way? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place. I don't know where else to ask something like this without getting a bunch of noise from people who know less about this topic than I do.)
05-26-15, 09:34 AM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is a really simple step, but I'm going to start here anyway. Did you completely close the WoW client when applying the modifications? If the game was running while you were modifying the sounds, they won't load until after you restart the client.
05-26-15, 05:34 PM   #3
fippydarkpaw
A Murloc Raider
Tell you what, I just repeated the process, and this time I rebooted the whole machine before launching WoW. Will that cut it? ;-)

To anyone reading this: I'm primarily looking for an answer to the question I actually asked, not for troubleshooting advice. I mentioned what I did to drop the hint that I have already put some effort into this, and as a person with maybe more technical sophistication than grandma. I guess I failed at that. My bad.

The question: are *all* sound effects customizable by ogg/wav files, or only some? If anyone knows the answer or even has some insight, it might help me to decide whether to keep investing time in this. If there's a sizable chance it simply can't be done, then I probably won't pursue it further. If it's highly likely it's doable, then I'll do some more digging.

Thanks.
05-26-15, 07:41 PM   #4
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yes, all sound files can be replaced. The client reads the file from the directory structure before looking for it in the game files.

It's not working for you because you don't actually know the path to the sound you're trying to replace.
05-26-15, 08:21 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
And no one here is psychic. That's the first question I (and likely many here) would have asked you, too.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-27-15, 10:12 AM   #6
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by fippydarkpaw View Post
Tell you what, I just repeated the process, and this time I rebooted the whole machine before launching WoW. Will that cut it? ;-)

To anyone reading this: I'm primarily looking for an answer to the question I actually asked, not for troubleshooting advice. I mentioned what I did to drop the hint that I have already put some effort into this, and as a person with maybe more technical sophistication than grandma. I guess I failed at that. My bad.

The question: are *all* sound effects customizable by ogg/wav files, or only some? If anyone knows the answer or even has some insight, it might help me to decide whether to keep investing time in this. If there's a sizable chance it simply can't be done, then I probably won't pursue it further. If it's highly likely it's doable, then I'll do some more digging.

Thanks.
Your issue is most likely is the wrong path. I suggest you to check the files with a casc viewer, instead of using MOP old sound libraries:

http://www.zezula.net/en/casc/main.html
05-29-15, 03:43 PM   #7
fippydarkpaw
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
Your issue is most likely is the wrong path. I suggest you to check the files with a casc viewer, instead of using MOP old sound libraries:

http://www.zezula.net/en/casc/main.html

Thank you much for the link.
06-04-15, 10:20 AM   #8
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by fippydarkpaw View Post
Thank you much for the link.
Seems like Casc Explorer knows +100k more files, so you might have a better chance using that:

https://github.com/WoW-Tools/CASCExplorer/releases

Last edited by Resike : 06-04-15 at 04:20 PM.
06-13-15, 09:33 AM   #9
fippydarkpaw
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
Seems like Casc Explorer knows +100k more files, so you might have a better chance using that:

https://github.com/WoW-Tools/CASCExplorer/releases
Sorry for the delay, figured this thread was done but double-checked just in case.

Thanks very much for the new link. Pointers to tools are always helpful!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Can *all* sounds be changed or only some?