09-30-14, 06:27 PM   #1
Danielps1
high resolution damage fonts

Hey,

There always has been the problem for me that, the damage font while using the standard blizzard damage text will get very "pixelated" and won't look as clean. This is more obvious on Crits because they are bigger.

I changed my font several times and tried a lot of fonts but the same problem everywhere. Is there an Addon which can fix this "bug".

I think the problem is that Crits use the same font-size as normal damage fonts but get scaled without using the normal font-size scaling.
09-30-14, 11:45 PM   #2
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I am also a user of the blizzard combat text and found the same problems as you did.

However i do not think that it is possible to get a clean damage font as long as we cannot really the blizzard combat text.

There are addons for the floating combat text (aura gains etc) that can add outline to it etc but even here when you change the font scale to something else than the blizzard values, the font gets all fuzzy.

I even modded a font using a fontcreator. I changed the initial fontsize to be around 50% smaller than normal and i was able to change the combat text size by that way, but the fuzziness stayed the same.
10-01-14, 03:27 AM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

The problem is that the Blizzard combat text isn't rendered as part of the UI. It's rendered as part of the 3D game world, and is obviously rasterized at some smaller size and then scaled up with a "MS Paint 1992" style algorithm. Unfortunately there is no solution to this problem, because addons can't modify the rendering of the 3D game world. You either live with the pixelly text, or you use third-party combat text and lose the "text on units" placement.
10-01-14, 05:26 AM   #4
Danielps1
Well that's really sad. Is there any chance blizzard is updating the rendering algorythm in WoD?
10-01-14, 06:51 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

I wish. Even the font rendering in the WoW UI is pretty bad. I've seen other people playing Diablo 3 and the UI text looks so much sharper and better-kerned. Granted, there are no custom fonts in D3 but even the default fonts in the WoW UI aren't great. Custom fonts just make the problem more obvious. Unfortunately, since they haven't already replaced the font engine, I'd say the chances of any such change making it into this expansion are near zero.
10-02-14, 12:59 AM   #6
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

There is a combat text addon that is able to display 'damage at nameplates'.

However it seems to be pretty buggy, especially if mobs have the same name.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » high resolution damage fonts