09-22-14, 01:40 PM   #1
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr
Multiple questions, again!

Would it be possible to: take the code for raid frames and raid debuff indicators and make a standalone addon for my own personal use?

I would like to do this because ElvUI has everything I want within the raid frames. Multiple layouts for 5, 10, 25, and 40 man sizes; an excellent system for displaying important auras; and easy customization/positioning/filtering of these layouts. I just don't want all the other stuff that comes with it.

As an update from my other thread - I checked out KillFeed and it wasn't what I'm looking for. I don't need to see what ability killed the player. What I want is: my custom image in between two class-colored names that have faction icons on the side. If anyone could share how to do this with WeakAuras, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Finally, a small (but wildly irritating) issue. Why is the top border 2 pixels tall in this image?

I've edited the code for an existing addon called EasyWorldMarker to match the rest of my UI a bit better, but I can't figure out why the top border is 2 pixels tall.

Here is the pastebin for the current code.

As always, any and all help or suggestions is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by InfamousX : 09-24-14 at 01:39 PM.
09-22-14, 02:53 PM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Pixel-perfect stuff only works well with multisampling turned all the way down.
09-22-14, 04:56 PM   #3
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Pixel-perfect stuff only works well with multisampling turned all the way down.
Could you not see any problems with my code then?
09-22-14, 05:06 PM   #4
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If your buttons have a 1px border, and the container has a 1px border, then it's possible that your first button is being anchored below the top edge of the container.
09-22-14, 05:33 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Also, WoW does not limit frames to being placed on whole pixels. If you've dragged your frame from the starting position it may be anchored, for example, 17.439270432 pixels from the left and 200.87534 pixels from the top, and then rounding would cause some 1px borders to appear wider than 1px. To avoid this, you should use a custom OnDragStop handler that makes sure the frame is always placed on whole pixels, eg.

Code:
frame:SetScript("OnDragStop", function(self)
     local left = floor(self:GetLeft() + 0.5)
     local bottom = floor(self:GetBottom() + 0.5)
     self:ClearAllPoints()
     self:SetPoint("BOTTOMLEFT", left, bottom)
     self:StopMovingOrSizing()
end)
You may also want to account for UI scaling and anchor to the closest corner rather than always BOTTOMLEFT, but the above should be enough to get you started.
09-22-14, 06:20 PM   #6
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Border in red is the backdrop on EasyMarkerFrame, you're seeing a 2px border on top because your first button is anchored 1px above the top edge of the container.
09-22-14, 06:50 PM   #7
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr
OK, so Semlar fixed the issue with the top border for me in IRC. Thanks again, Semlar!

The other questions are still unanswered, though. Any recommendations?
09-22-14, 06:59 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

You may want to post screenshots of the items you're looking to replace. I've never used ElvUI and it's not hosted on either WoWI or Curse, so I have no idea what its raid frames or "buff / debuff filter" look like -- in fact, I'm not even sure what kind of addon the last one is; is it a feature for filtering the player buffs and debuffs up by the minimap? auras on unit frames? some kind of standalone tracker for specific auras? -- but if you show me a picture and/or be more specific in your description I (or other non-ElvUI users) may be able to suggest some similar addons.
09-22-14, 09:58 PM   #9
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr

This is an example of the different layouts and anchors that I like. I have Align outside of ElvUI, too.

Here is what I mean by "buff / debuff filter". It's actually called RaidDebuffIndicator in ElvUI.
It is very useful in PvP because it will display when my partners are in CC; such as Polymorph, Silence, etc.
It will also show important player buffs like Shield Wall and Shamanistic Rage, but gives priority to debuffs.

These are the filters that RaidDebuffIndicator uses. I can give specific lists if needed.
09-23-14, 05:58 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

You could easily set up Grid to look and act the way you have described.

Set the layout anchor to BOTTOMRIGHT so the frame extends upward and leftward like in bigger groups like in your screenshot.

Add the debuffs you want to see, give them whatever priority you want, and assign them to the whatever indicator you want (probably the Center Icon). There may even be a plugin that has all of the relevant PVP debuffs pre-packaged for you.

If you really want power bars on your raid frames (but why ) you can install the GridManaBars plugin.
09-23-14, 10:05 PM   #11
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
You could easily set up Grid to look and act the way you have described.

Set the layout anchor to BOTTOMRIGHT so the frame extends upward and leftward like in bigger groups like in your screenshot.

Add the debuffs you want to see, give them whatever priority you want, and assign them to the whatever indicator you want (probably the Center Icon). There may even be a plugin that has all of the relevant PVP debuffs pre-packaged for you.

If you really want power bars on your raid frames (but why ) you can install the GridManaBars plugin.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've already tried Grid and Grid2 I don't really feel like sorting through all the plugins for them, either. I'm not using them because they're lacking in terms of what I'm looking for. The same thing can be achieved with Grid, yes, but that would take most of my time until WoD comes out - and then I'll have to redo it. I'd rather have something that already has the filters in place.

I need mana bars on my raid frames to monitor my partner's mana during group fights in RBGs. If my partner has low mana and I'm near half or above I'll tell them to dip out of combat quickly so they can regain a bit while I pop some major CDs.

One question though Phanx, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but why so many plugins for Grid? Why don't most of these things just come packaged into the addon?

--
edit: I forgot something else. Anchoring to the BOTTOMRIGHT doesn't solve my problem with the layouts. My frames for 10 man groups are quite large to make room for everything I need to see. In Grid (unless I missed something) it's not possible to edit the size of different layouts; there is only one general size of the frames. I'm sure you could see the problem with having the same size frames in a 40man group as my 10man group.

Last edited by InfamousX : 09-23-14 at 10:11 PM.
09-23-14, 10:40 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You can create a different profile for each layout.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-23-14, 11:53 PM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

Plugin to automatically change frame widths for different layout sizes:
http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/gridresizeframes/

If you want more extensive changes (for example, if you want tiny boxes with 2 letters in a 25-player raid but giant boxes with full names and 12 icons in a 10-player raid) you'd need to use the profile system.

Originally Posted by InfamousX View Post
I don't really feel like sorting through all the plugins for them, either.
There's literally a list of all plugins (which I linked in my post) that you can use your browser's "find in page" feature to search for keywords like "layout" or "size" or whatever. This is surely faster than looking through unfamiliar and extensive options to find a specific feature.

The same thing can be achieved with Grid, yes, but that would take most of my time until WoD comes out - and then I'll have to redo it.
I could configure Grid to fit your description in less than 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes if you include the time to type in all the PVP debuff names and assign them priorities (well, for me it would take much longer because I don't PVP and would have to go find a list somewhere of all the debuffs I'd need to enter, but I assume you already know what they are).

You could also use the GridStatusAurasExt plugin to group your PVP debuffs into categories, eg. all CC debuffs in one category, all roots in another, all stuns, etc.

Also, I don't know what you think you'd need to redo for WOD. If they're drastically changing all the debuffs you need to care about in PVP, that seems like a silly complaint -- you're basically just saying that you don't want to do that work, and you want someone else to do it for you in the form of pre-packaging the list in a plugin or in Grid itself.

One question though Phanx, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but why so many plugins for Grid? Why don't most of these things just come packaged into the addon?
Why should they be? The design goal behind Grid is to show only the information that's actually needed to perform optimally. If some piece of information is useless to the vast majority of players, Grid doesn't include it by default. The plugin system was an intentional design decision, as it allows basically limitless customizability, without forcing every user to run a bloated monstrosity with dozens or hundreds of features they will never use.

The design philosphy has always been "start with nothing, and justify each addition" rather than "start with everything, and justify each subtration".

For example, the vast majority of players do not need to see the exact amount of mana that the other players in the group have, so Grid doesn't waste screen space and user attention showing everyone's mana. If you only need to see "does anyone in the group have less than X% mana" use the built-in "low mana" status -- that's what it's there for. If you really want to see a full mana bar, and spend your attention mentally processing a bar UI to answer that question over and over instead of just having a simple "yes/no" shown to you, there's a plugin for that.

Same goes for the ability to combine buffs/debuffs into groups. Most players don't need that, and it's a lot of extra configuration complexity, so it's not included by default.

Personally, I was active in high-level raiding throughout TBC and Wrath as a resto shaman, and the only plugins I ever used were GridStatusRes to show incoming resurrections (a feature now included by default in Grid since it no longer requires every player in the group to be running a library to broadcast information to the rest of the group, and also much less useful nowadays with Mass Res) and GridStatusHealingReduced which I wrote to avoid having to add and configure all the "mortal strike" type debuffs by hand (a feature which is significantly less useful nowadays because such debuffs are no longer a staple of raid encounter design).

If you prefer a "show everything all the time" approach, and prefer to have every possible feature preinstalled, Grid is probably just not for you.

Last edited by Phanx : 09-24-14 at 12:18 AM.
09-24-14, 01:37 PM   #14
InfamousX
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
You can create a different profile for each layout.
Yes but then I'd need a seperate Reflux profile for each layout to automatically switch them when specific conditions are met.

There's literally a list of all plugins (which I linked in my post) that you can use your browser's "find in page" feature to search for keywords like "layout" or "size" or whatever. This is surely faster than looking through unfamiliar and extensive options to find a specific feature.
You have a point but that wasn't the intent of my question. I was asking if it were possible to package a few features that ElvUI has into a standalone addon for my own use... not looking for alternatives; even though that might be easier.

I could configure Grid to fit your description in less than 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes if you include the time to type in all the PVP debuff names and assign them priorities (well, for me it would take much longer because I don't PVP and would have to go find a list somewhere of all the debuffs I'd need to enter, but I assume you already know what they are).

You could also use the GridStatusAurasExt plugin to group your PVP debuffs into categories, eg. all CC debuffs in one category, all roots in another, all stuns, etc.
I'm not you, though. I'm obviously not as familiar with Grid (or LUA in general, else I'd write my own addons for everything that I want to accomplish). It would take me far more time.

Also, I don't know what you think you'd need to redo for WOD. If they're drastically changing all the debuffs you need to care about in PVP, that seems like a silly complaint -- you're basically just saying that you don't want to do that work, and you want someone else to do it for you in the form of pre-packaging the list in a plugin or in Grid itself.
They are removing and adding quite a lot.
Also, in my opinion, that's what should come with an addon (or plugin) that displays those things. Pre-packaged lists of raid debuffs, important player buffs, cc debuffs, etc.

Why should they be? The design goal behind Grid is to show only the information that's actually needed to perform optimally. If some piece of information is useless to the vast majority of players, Grid doesn't include it by default. The plugin system was an intentional design decision, as it allows basically limitless customizability, without forcing every user to run a bloated monstrosity with dozens or hundreds of features they will never use.

The design philosphy has always been "start with nothing, and justify each addition" rather than "start with everything, and justify each subtration".

For example, the vast majority of players do not need to see the exact amount of mana that the other players in the group have, so Grid doesn't waste screen space and user attention showing everyone's mana. If you only need to see "does anyone in the group have less than X% mana" use the built-in "low mana" status -- that's what it's there for. If you really want to see a full mana bar, and spend your attention mentally processing a bar UI to answer that question over and over instead of just having a simple "yes/no" shown to you, there's a plugin for that.

Same goes for the ability to combine buffs/debuffs into groups. Most players don't need that, and it's a lot of extra configuration complexity, so it's not included by default.

Personally, I was active in high-level raiding throughout TBC and Wrath as a resto shaman, and the only plugins I ever used were GridStatusRes to show incoming resurrections (a feature now included by default in Grid since it no longer requires every player in the group to be running a library to broadcast information to the rest of the group, and also much less useful nowadays with Mass Res) and GridStatusHealingReduced which I wrote to avoid having to add and configure all the "mortal strike" type debuffs by hand (a feature which is significantly less useful nowadays because such debuffs are no longer a staple of raid encounter design).
Fair enough; I see your point and understand why you chose this design for Grid.

If you prefer a "show everything all the time" approach, and prefer to have every possible feature preinstalled, Grid is probably just not for you.
It might not be, which is exactly why I asked the question that no one has even addressed other than giving alternative addons for me to try out. :P

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Multiple questions, again!