05-24-14, 02:32 PM   #1
Rothbard
A Defias Bandit
Question Regarding Rage Counter

After what I have understood it is not possible to return_rage() by using lua. However is it possible to track rage? Say I set rage to zero before a boss fight, since I know what creates rage could I then track the rage throughout the fight?

If this is possible, could I then put in some "if" statements to tell me which spell to cast, so that a graphic appeared on the screen?
05-24-14, 04:23 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You mean your own rage? What's wrong with using the UNIT_POWER event and the UnitPower function?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-24-14, 11:09 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rothbard View Post
After what I have understood it is not possible to return_rage() by using lua.
I'm not sure what resources you're looking at, but either you're looking at the wrong resources, or you're not understanding what you're reading at all, because there is no such function as "return_rage" in the WoW API.

Here is a list of the API functions that exist in WoW:
http://wowpedia.org/API

And here is an example of registering for the event that tells you when you gain or lose power (including rage) and keeping track of how much you gained or lost since the last change:
Code:
local prev
local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
f:RegisterUnitEvent("UNIT_POWER", "player")
f:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self, event, unit, powerType)
     if powerType ~= "RAGE" then return end
     local rage = UnitPower(unit)
     if prev then
          local diff = rage - prev
          if diff > 0 then
               print("You gained", diff, "rage!")
          elseif diff < 0 then
               print("You lost", diff, "rage!")
          end
     end
     prev = rage
end)

Last edited by Phanx : 05-24-14 at 11:12 PM.
05-25-14, 04:36 AM   #4
Rothbard
A Defias Bandit
I have not played wow in about 3 years, and have not written in lua, though I have some programming experience. So my former question was out of ignorance of all function. But from what I understand of your replies, thanks for them, I can in fact make a program that tracks my rage and says something like "if rage is above 60" then show icon CS on screen.

If this is possible then I would like to start writing a program. I just wanted to know the feasibility of my project.

Thanks again for your time.
05-25-14, 07:21 AM   #5
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think instead of trying to make an addon from scratch it would serve you best to use one of the existing addons that put notifications on the screen or flash actionbuttons and just make the triggers you want.

WeakAuras / PowerAuras for the first category or something like SpellFlash for the second.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Question Regarding Rage Counter